Need Ceremony for Adult leaders

I'm the COR for our troop. Our troop committee just met, with a number of Scouters & parents taking on various new offices, including a new Scoutmaster. The meeting was very productive and the troops first meeting of the new school year is in two weeks.

I mentioned while we have ceremonies for the troop, an investiture ceremony for our new Scouters (and those in new positions ) would be appropriate. The leaders agreed & I am to set one up. I've looked at some on the web, but still need a ceremony.... any suggestions?

Steve in SC

I am guessing that you are not finding many, for lack of a better term, "change of command," ceremonies for adults is because it is a youth run program.

If you really wanted to do something like this, I would have the SPL and the PLC come up with something and have them administer 'oaths of office" to the adults in SM and ASM roles..

You would really be surprised at what these guys can come up with.

Lexinton76,

The publication "Cub Scout Ceremonies for Dens and Packs" has a Den Leader Investure ceremony, which can be shorted and modified for a Troop SM, ASM, and Troop Committee.

I like the idea, but with adult recognitions and ceremonies, I personally like to keep them short and sweet during a regular COH.

The investure would be a public promise or a commitment by the adult leaders to guide and counsel the PLC and respective Positions of Responsibility in the Troop. A few candles, Scout sign, make the promise, handshakes and sit down. It could all be done in a minute if rehearsed.

The program is for the boys. But it is a family program and you need to give the adults a pat on the back every so often. Years ago, I tried to recognize my adults twice a year, once at the beginning of the school year and then at the end of the school year (March-April). Obviously, we want to recognize the boys for their educational and peformance accomplishments (which is the merit badge and advancement program). We also want to thank our adult leaders. These small "atta-boy" ceremonies will slow down or prevent some burn out and keep them coming back week after week.

When adults volunteer by signing an application. Some become just another troop committee member, never giving any time or effort to perform assigned tasks. Others may execute their volunteer tasks precisely, others may not dedicate the time to be a treasurer, secretary, fundraiser, etc.

An investure ceremony will both "put them on the spot" and recognize them for their volunteering. At the end of the year, if they have qualified for training award "knots", present them with their training awards.

If they just have not qualified for training awards, but are great Scouters for driving, cooking, fundraising, etc; then certificates, trophies, and other warm fuzzies can be awarded to recognize their work with the troop.

So back to the investure ceremony. I would look into the Cub Scout Ceremonies for Dens and Packs, and take the investure promise as a draft sample for your ceremony.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

If youth love ceremonies, this may be a way to cement in their minds who is who. This is for a new scoutmaster, although it obviously can work for any position. It invovles the SPL and names him as the leader os the troop

Materials:

Scoutmaster Handbook

Scoutmaster badge of office

Participants:

Senior Patrol Leader

Outgoing Scoutmaster (called Scoutmaster)

Incoming Scoutmaster (called Scoutmaster Candidate)

Chartered Organizational Representative or Head

Troop Committee Chair

(Special setup: Present Scoutmaster should have his or her badge of office loosely sewn on the left shoulder sleeve or attached using tape)

The Troop Committee Chair asks for all members of the Troop to stand behind him or her. The Troop stands in a semi-circle behind the Troop Committee Chair.

Troop Committee Chair: This evening marks another significant mark in the history of our Troop and this community; for tonight, as you are aware, we install a new Scoutmaster and say so long to our present Scoutmaster, (name of Scoutmaster).

Before I ask (name of Scoutmaster) to come forward, I would like to review what a Scoutmaster does. To provide this explanation, I now call upon the Leader of this Troop, (name of Senior Patrol Leader), the Senior Patrol Leader of our Troop.

(Troop Committee Chair stands to side and allows Senior Patrol Leader to come center)

Senior Patrol Leader: (name of Scoutmaster) works closely with me as I lead the Troop. As Scoutmaster, (name of Scoutmaster) and I manage the program and he (she) insures that I get the training and coaching I need to do my job and to lead other boys in our Troop. (Name of Scoutmaster) also works with the Troop Committee Chair and members of our Troop Committee to insure that the proper support is given to whatever we as Troop leaders plan -- a campout, a day trip, or just a regular Troop meeting. The Scoutmaster is also the visual example for all of us here and works hard to insure that each Scout is guided in the direction toward Eagle and is making good progress toward his goal.

(Senior Patrol Leader may address specific comments about Scoutmaster and wishes him or her well).

Troop Committee Chair: At this time, I wish to call upon our Scoutmaster, (name of Scoutmaster) to come forward.

(Scoutmaster comes forward). We have enjoyed working with you over the period you have given to Scouting as Scoutmaster of this Troop. (at this time, various plaques, certificates or other items may be presented to the outgoing Scoutmaster and the Scoutmaster may make some remarks and comments about his or her service.) It now becomes time for us to appoint your successor and to induct him (her) as our new Scoutmaster. It gives me great honor to introduce (name of Scoutmaster candidate),our candidate for the position of Scoutmaster.

(Scoutmaster candidate comes forward and stands on one side of Troop Committee Chair)

Troop Committee Chair: It is the desire of this Troop's Chartering Organizatin to appoint you as Scoutmaster of Troop (number). As you have heard from our Senior Patrol Leader, you main job is to advise the Troop officers and assist in their training and coaching as they develop the Troop's program.

We are placing the confidence of our families and our Scouts onto your shoulders as you continue to provide a quality program for our Scouts and this community. Will you accept our nomination and serve as Scoutmaster of this Troop?

Scoutmaster Candidate: Yes, I will do my best.

(The Senior Patrol Leader brings the Troop's flag forward and in front of the Troop Committee Chair. He then hands the flag to the Scoutmaster and then leaves. The Chartered Organizational Representative or Head comes forward and takes the place of the Senior Patrol Leader. The Scoutmaster then gives the flag to the Chartered Organizational Representative or Head as Troop Committee Chair states:

The Scouting program is a part of the community service mission of (name of chartered organization). It is highly appropriate that the symbol of the Troop, the Troop's flag, be returned to the representative (head) of (name of chartered organization), because it is this organization that gives final approval to adults working with our youth.

The Scoutmaster then removes his or her badge of office and hands it to the Chartered Organizational Representative (Head).

The Chartered Organizational Representative or Head then invites the Scoutmaster candidate to place his or her left hand on the pole of the Troop's flag, above that of the Chartered Organizational Representative's hand.

Chartered Organizational Representative or Head: Please raise your hand in the Sign of the Scout and repeat after the Troop Committee Chair.

(Scoutmaster Candidate does so)

Troop Committee Chair: (said to allow for repeating by Scoutmaster Candidate) I promise to do my best ---to be worthy of my office as Scoutmaster --- for the sake of my Scouts --- This Troop --- and the World Brotherhood of Scouting.

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

As officers of the Troop, I think it is very appropriate to recognize them with an investiture ceremony. We run a shortened version of the one outlined by OGE. The officer comes forward, grasps the Troop flag with his left hand, gives the sign with his right and repeats the oath delivered to him. I don't know about the other officers, but taking that oath in front of the boys and the parents made it both a little more serious and a little more important.

When we started the Troop, I asked my SM to attend and administer the oath - a sort of passing of the torch. I would also suggest the COR or the IH could administer the oath. We do keep it pretty short and sweet.