Working all weekend to help rehab my son's new house, I had to make several trips to Lowe's. Upon exiting the store, I was accosted by a maybe 3 foot tall Cub Scout who blocked my path saying, "Hey sir, would you like to buy some popcorn?" I swear, his wall-to wall belt loops probably weighed more than he did. Annoyed with myself for not anticipating and evading and already late, I said, "no thanks, not today" and kept walking. Almost to the car, I went back. I said, "OK, I changed my mind, what have you got?" Face lit up, he launched into his spiel...knowing my volunteer workers were waiting for me, I cut him off and said "Ok, how much is the trail mix" "Twenty dollars, sir", he replied, holding out his hand. A bit startled, but now committed, I handed over a double saw-buck. Collecting my minuscule can of trail mix from the cub, I noted to the adult "supervisor"..."you know I used to be a Scoutmaster, and I just can't walk past you guys", and he nodded knowingly, rolling his eyes. Upon hearing I was a "leader", the Cub drew himself up to his tallest 36 inch height, came to attention and snapped off the best Cub Scout Salute I have ever seen, saying "Thank, you, Sir." Driving back to my 27 year old former cub scout's new house, I had to wipe a tear from my eye.

Best 20 bucks I've spent in a long time.

I haven't bought Trail's End in quite a while, and haven't seen a current product list this year.

The cheapest item online is $25 - a military product donation.

The most expensive is $49.95 - a bag of wasabi soy almonds - with a line touting that $35.26 goes back to "local Scouting."

I fail to see how this makes sense. If I wanted wasabi soy almonds (and I don't!), I could get a similar product for under $10 in my local grocery store and donate $40 directly to my local unit or council. We'd both win.

P.S. Yes, you're a softy. That's a good thing. :-)(This message has been edited by shortridge)

All the microwave popcorn is still $15 or $16 per box of 15 packets, which isn't too bad. I see on the Trails End website you can only buy units of two boxes, but on the sales sheet you can buy single boxes. This is by far our biggest seller, and the only thing we buy for "show and sell" sales.

Equivalent supermarket popcorn is about 50% of that price, but we manage to sell a lot of it with little effort...

I am the same way. I buy it everytime, last year I bought it twice in one day. We were shopping near Christmas and I bought some as we headed into Cabelas, and then again when we hit WalMart. Then again I buy Girl Scout cookies from kids outside of stores although my girls sell them too. I also only buy Chritsmas trees from Boy Scout troops.

Well, I cracked the seal on my treasure last night...the fine print on the label says "Pecatonica River Popcorn", not Trails' End. The trail mix was mostly raisins with peanuts mixed in, and a FEW cashews, almonds and M&M's. Nothing to write home about. Nice tin. I would have gotten popcorn, but since diverticulitis surgery last year, I'm still a bit nervous about what I put through the system.

As a rule I keep $100.00 "Mad Money" tucked away in my wallet just for occasions like this.

Apart from subscriptions for magazines any kid selling just about anything is sure of a sale when he pounds on my door.

Think that big neon light flashing "Sucker" might have something to do with it?

I really don't like popcorn and end up giving it away (That's what Mother-In-Laws are for!)

My big weakness is Girl Scout Cookies. A box of these is just like a candy bar. - Open and then gone.

HWMBO works with a lot of women who have daughters and she now just orders them in case lots.

Eamonn.

SOFTY

Thats OK, I probably would have done the same. The young ad probably felt SOOO proud and he obviously shows his awards with pride.

As for the cost this year. The cheapest thing isted is $10 for the tin of popcorn.