Smarter than a boy scout, revisited

Got this idea from the other thread by this name. This of course refers to a game show in which contestants answer trivia questions which are derived from grade school curriculum.

We had an idea to make a scouting version of this, and perhaps do it at our open houses. Have 6th thru 8th graders trying to answer a series of half a dozen questions, which scouts would know. As they pass each level, they get points which they can redeem for prizes. As an added twist, we could drag favorite teachers in and see how well they do.

Anyone have any ideas on this, including questions which might be good to ask?

* "Leaflets three, let it be" refers to what?

* In folding an American flag, you seek to finally make a:

a) rectangular shape

b) square

c) triangle

* The highest rank a Boy Scout can earn is:

a) Silver Wolf

b) Eagle

c) Gold Award

* True or false:::To join the Boy Scouts, a boy MUST be a Christian.

* What is the youngest Cub Scout called in America? Australia? Great Britain?

Open-ended: What won't the bowline do? (Originally phrased as "What will the bowline not do," which was very confusing.)

According to the Scout Law, "A Scout is Hungry." True or false?

To build a campfire, you must first have:

(a) matches

(b) water or dirt to extinguish the flames

© a metal campfire ring

The square knot is also known as

(a) the friendship knot

(b) the reef knot

© the thief knot

To treat a snakebite:

(a) tie a torniquet

(b) cut into the bite and suck the blood out with your mouth

© use a commercial suction device to suck the blood out

(d) get the patient to a hospital as soon as possible(This message has been edited by shortridge)

I got the beginnings of the idea here, but for a pack we belonged to last year, I thought it would be fun to do "Who's Smarter Than A Cub Scout?". The idea was to make up a series of questions in game-show format, and set up a competition of pack parents against their Cubs. If the questions were funny enough, and the stakes high enough, I thought it might be enough to keep a bunch of Cubs interested during a pack meeting.

The questions would have been Tiger-level, Wolf-level, etc, most pulled directly from their achievements. I thought it might have been fun. CC/CM shot it down.

Still might be fun for someone else to do, but we're out of Cubs now.

Guy

From memory, and in International Morse Code send and receive sections from the Gettysburg Address using your Scout neckerchief.(In 1963, we took first place for this one during the Spring Camporee)

(This message has been edited by Le Voyageur)

A few I came up with:

T or F: it should take the same amount of time to raise the American flag as to lower it.

A sunburn is an example of the following type of burn:

1) first degree

2) second degree

3) third degree

If you are speaking in an auditorium, the American flag will be on which side of you?

Name two places where the American flag flies 24 hours a day.

What are the first three words of the Constitution?

I also jotted down questions which would be derived from the Citizenship.... merit badges, such as naming their US Senators, and City Hall is at the intersection of which two streets.

A bowline won't cook a hot dog worth eating.

Leaflets three, let it be refers to the Watchtower.

WEBELOS = WE BELieve in OSirus.

A Scout is Hungry? Do you not have any teenagers that you would ask such a silly question?

To build a campfire, you must first have a union membership card in the carpentry union.

The square knot is also known as the Niedermeyer Knot (let's see how many get THAT reference).

To treat a snakebite, bite the snake back.

The US flag flys 24 hours a day on orbiting US Military Satellites and on the surface of the Moon.

The first three words of the Constitution is "Yo, Listen Up!"

When speaking in a auditorium, the US flag will probably be on my bad side.

How many proper nouns are in the Pledge - none - not one noun in the Pledge knows the difference between a butter knife and a cheese knife.

So how'd I do coach?

"From memory, and in International Morse Code send and receive sections from the Gettysburg Address using your Scout neckerchief.(In 1963, we took first place for this one during the Spring Camporee)"Great for lifetime bragging rights, but can you do it now?(I am not ragging on you.  It was the Morse code requirement which kept me from earning my Quartermaster back in the early 80s.  I practiced for 2 years and could not get it down fast enough.  Ironically, this requirement was dropped; oh well.)

Well, since you asked for "trivia":

What was the highest rank in Boy Scouts in 1910?

A) Rank was First Class Scout.

The First Class Scout could work on Merit badges to earn higher awards such as Life Scout, Star Scout, or Eagle Scout. These awards were presented to the First Class Scout that earned the award.

I give you the trivia, you add whatever wrong answers you want for multiple choice.

From "Handbook for Boys" 1911 edition reprinted in 1998 page 43.

YiS,

Rick