Where is the next Voice of Scouting?

As I've surveyed the rich history of Scouting, I've noted that along the way that there have been figures that have forcefully and eloquently given voice to the message of Scouting. From James West, who worked to define and protect the identity of Scouting, to Norman Rockwell, who provided a vivid image of Scouting in a way that no amount of words could, to Green Bar Bill, who did an excellent job of writing handbooks (including the one I Scouted from) and laying out the program of Scouting in a way that was at once direct and appealing. All of these conveyed the message of Scouting as something to be admired and to aspire to.

Surely the value of raising boys into productive citizens hasn't diminished. Surely the need to prepare youth to help our country and its citizens in times of crisis hasn't gone away. Surely the Scouting program has been, and continues to be, an enormously positive influence in the lives of America's youth. Why then do we seem to lack a voice in society today? Why don't we see Scout Shows, or Scouts in uniform, or Scouts on parade nearly as much we used to? How did we lose our message, and how do we get it out there again?

How did we lose our message,

It happened in 1965 when the BSA millionaires unleashed the Hungarian vampire Bla Bnthy to suck out of Scouting the life-blood of outdoor adventure (Green Bar Bill's Wood Badge and Patrol Leader Training), and replace it with PORs, Leadership Development, and the mission to turn every boy into a leader.

http://www.whitestag.org/history/history.html

and how do we get it out there again?

Look for someone who can make indoor business manager skills sound as exciting to boys as they are to "21st Century" Holders of the Wood Badge: A great hero like Kenneth Blanchard, but who does not charge royalties for his revealed wisdom.

Kudu

I think they are out there, toiling away, providing a outdoor boy led program as much as they are allowed, hoping for the day they can speak out and not risk their membership status.

BP started this all from a book not ment for boys, found solid ground and his lifes work with the handbook for boys and Scouting flurished. Could another handbook (call it Scoutcraft Revisited) create another ground swell?

Our very best selling points are downplayed every day by red tape and the worship of dull management theory. Adventure in the outdoors, our rich scouting heritage, leadership, service to others--these things draw people. The man or woman that can capture that will succeed.

At some point, indoor people took charge of scouting. The outdoor people must regain and refocus scouting.

Our new scout handbook is a step in the right direction.

While maybe there isn't a voice that stands out here in the USA. When you look around the world at different Scouting Organizations and Associations there are within that country people who are the voice of Scouting.

Carl Gustaf king of Sweden is very active in both Swedish and world Scouting.

The Brits, who when I was a Lad over there seemed to have made owning a castle, wearing a kilt along with a nice title a requirement for Chief Scout seem now to have gone for TV personalities.

The new fellow they have is controversial television survivalist Bear Grylls. His accomplishments transcend mere showmanship (he did climb Everest at the age of 23.)

Piet Kroonenberg is the Historical Consultant to the European Scout Committee, and was awarded the Bronze Wolf in 1996 for his outstanding contribution to International Scouting.

Piet writes with the authority of having been active in Scouting since before the Dutch World Jamboree in 1937.

In a lot of countries the monarch, president or head of state is active in Scouts and Scouting in that country.

While of course everyone has heard of BP. The same can't be said about many of the people who are seen as icons of American (BSA) Scouting.

I'd never heard of James E. West or Bill Hillcourt when I was Scouting in the UK.

Sad as it might be. We only have to look at our own Councils to see that Council Presidents and Council Executive Board Members are now selected from the business community, with a good many (Not all!!) knowing very little about what I might call grass roots Scouting.

When I was selected as District Chairman, it had more to do with my owning a local business than anything to do with any knowledge of Scouts and Scouting that I might have had.

Eamonn

I agree with desertrat77, the BSA needs a strong outdoorsman type, well connected in both the business and entertainment communities, an ex boy scout, who can get past all the namby pambys at National get elected CSE and turn this organization around before its too late.

Mike Rowe is an excellent choice.

Articulate spokesman and he's clearly not afraid of anything outdoors.

How cool would it be to see a CSE, or DE, or the upper echelons of the commissioner staff, in the outdoors hiking in the rain, building conservation projects, etc.? This happens I'm sure, but it's not the norm.

Too many indoor/cubicle people, paid and volunteer, occupy our highest positions in scouting. Not inspiring.

Heck I'll go one better, ALL professional staff should participate in a high adventure activity at least every other year and not the same one each time either, and do it just like the boys and there leaders do. Paddle in hand or boots on the ground is the best way to see if the program is broken or thriving, 2nd hand reports and pretty pics just don't cut it. National leaders should go EVERY year to high adventure or national leval training camps and again no preferential treatment.

Any that refuse might not be the Pros the BSA deserves.

Lead by example.

Prairie

I doubt that most of the upper eschelon at National,regional, and even local councils could survive any high adventure trek,lol, but it is a great idea. Gern & desertrat77 enlighten me please, who is Mike Rowe?