BSA Listed in Top Five Highest CEO Salaries Study

The Charity Navigator 2009 CEO Compensation Study was just released and rates the Chief Scout Executive as the fifth highest CEO salary.

See More:

http://www.scoutingnews.org/2009/08/05/bsa-listed-in-top-five-highest-ceo-salaries-study/

Read the whole Charity Navigator Study (fairly short): (pdf)

http://www.charitynavigator.org/__asset__/_etc_/cn_ceo_compensation_study_2009.pdf

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the CSE compared to the Head Coach at USC. And who would guess that the president of U. Delaware would be the highest paid non-profit CEO? And I would love to know the story behind the 4.3 million salary for a Clinical Professor.

Still, I am surprised that the CSE presumably makes more than the CEOs of American Red Cross, American Cancer Society or the United Way. I would have expected any or all of those to crack the top 5.

Oh, Mr. Mazucca! You got some 'splainin' to do!

I can see large salaries for clinical professors and college coaches...usually those positions are "revenue positive", meaning that they bring in more money than they are paid, through research grants, and sports revenues. Many college faculty and coaching positions are funded through grants, donations, endowments, etc. Can the CSE say the same? (I don't know...I'm asking).

They say their figures do not include pensions and so on, but they also indicate the material is up to two years old, depending on various info available. So, is this reflective of Mr. Mazucca, or his predecessor? And, if the latter, does it include, like in the case of a council exec somewhere, severance and upfront retirement? Still, seems high, no matter what.

In all fairness to the National folks, I checked the data Charity Navigator had on file. Their salary information is from 2007 when Roy Williams was Chief Scout Executive.

GuideStar has the 2007 990 on file. Looking at the 990, Mr. Robert Mazzuca made the following in 2007:

Compensation - 377,617

Deferred Compensation - 322,237

Expense Account - 22,810

Remember Mr. Mazzuca took over as Chief Scout Executive September 2007, but was an Assistant prior. Mr. Wayne Brock one of the listed Assistants made 323,010 in 2007.

Looking at this, it is possible Mr. Mazzuca's compensation is in fact lower than Mr. Williams' 2007 compensation. We really won't know until we see the 2008 990.

IIRC Mr Mazzuca was a Council SE at the time, not one of the deputies.

Jim Terry, Chief Eagle From the Sun in the Great Tribe of Mic-o-Say, VP and CFO of BSA, was the Mr Williams assistant on the short list.

BTW, Jim was the man who had the vision to recapitalize Heart Of America Council's two Scout Reservations: Theodore Naish and H Roe Bartle. He is a program man. :)

Finally, why are we even concerned about this. As I recall, there is a volunteer President of BSA; there is a BOD. They are the ones who decide the salaries.

John in KC;

While it may be out of our control, it still effects us indirectly from the point of view of image. In that regard, it seems very possible that this is another inaccurate portrayal of info based on incomplete or skewed data. That would be something to make known to the public it would seem. I would not hold my breath to see any corrections, if they are needed.

According to the Press Release announcing Mr. Mazzuca as Chief Scout Executive, he was Mazzuca's most recent position was with the National Council of the BSA as assistant Chief Scout Executive, a position he's held since 2006.

http://www.scouting.org/Media/PressReleases/PreviousYears/2007/20070830.aspx

Why are we concerned? Yes, there is a Board that decides this kind of stuff, as a member of the organization that contributes financially it is good to know where money is going. Always good to make informed decisions. For example, I don't like how my Council spends money so I limit my FOS contribution, and rather buy supplies and materials that get used at the camps.

Is the CEO of Scouting worth that much, I personally would say no. There has not been a lot of greatness coming out of the National level, especially looking at 2006 and 2007. Mr. Mazzuca has facilitated a lot of change and the talk about the 100 years has been great, however I feel we are falling back into the same rut we were in before the restructuring. Hopefully he can light a fire under his staff again. I'm really interested to see the 2008 990 now and determine if he is at the same level or if the Board was more reasonable.

AFAIAC,

Matthew 20:1-16 applies.

If you do not like it, you're free to start "American Heritage Boys."

As for me, I have limited amounts of emotional energy. This is something I cannot be an agent of change on, it's something I cannot even influence. There are other challenges far more important to me in Scouting: Are we getting Cubs in the door? Are we retaining them to join Boy Scouting? Are we using the Methods of our programs well?

Are the youth who I can influence having FUN!!?? Are they growing up to be great young people, whom we'll all be proud of?

I can assure you all that the the CSE of the BSA is not making less than his predecessor. He was promoted to that position on large part by his promises that he would reach out AND bring into scouting more minorities, esp hispanic, and restore the BSA to its pre 70's numbers. Lets see, hispanic cub scout soccer program fell flat on its face and now he is going for the computer nerds who have little interest in scouting, so the CSE is going to change the program to accomodate them, hmmm, seems like he is worth the fifth highest salary in the CEO category. Oh and lets not forget his most recent brainchild from when he was the ACSE, called CFC aka Crap from China has boosted supply division profits or has it?

At least isn't it nice to know where all your hard earned contributions are going? LOL

That is fair, John-in-KC, I hear you on the emotional energy front. The problem is I cannot, in an honest way, ask boys to fund raise to support this. Disgraceful I say. This is why I will only support local units and boys directly. Let's send the kids to summer camp, not a huge CEO salary!