Now a Good News Story with Scouts

I was supprised by number of reader comments that said the troop should be paying the buyer of the stolen trailer his $600 back. They seemed to think the troop is morally obiglated to do that.

There seemed to be no outrage over the theft to begin with. The theives are the ones morally obligated to pay the $600 back. After all it is they who sold the stolen property.

Ed,

Negative.

"Receiving stolen goods is generally buying or acquiring the possession of property knowing (or believing in some jurisdictions) that it had been obtained through theft, embezzlement, larceny, or extortion by someone else. The crime is separate from the crime of stealing the property. To be convicted, the receiver must know the goods were stolen at the time he receives them and had the intent to aid the thief. Paying for the goods or intending to collect the reward for returning them are not defenses. Depending on the value of the property received, receiving-stolen-property is either a misdemeanor or a felony."

If the guy paid for the trailer through paypal, or a different internet transaction site, or any way with his credit card, he can just call the auction site, or at a last resort just call his credit card company to not pay the seller.

As long as he used a credit card, if he can call the company before his monthly bill gets paid and tell them to cancel paying that seller, he can not pay anything. Paypal has chargebacks, and surely with police help he can get more than enough evidence to complete that.

If it was by check, too bad, unless he hasn't cashed it yet. If then, just cancel the check.

I'll bet he paid cash. Did the seller provide a title or any documentation to show that he owned the trailer? To get a tag for a trailer you usually have to show some paperwork. Was the buyer the least bit suspicious about the painted out markings? Did he wonder why he was getting such a good price? Did he care where the trailer came from? He may have suspected it was hot; he may have known. The scouts should not give him a penny. If he is lucky he might get something from offender restitution. Otherwise he has learned a life lesson.

Hal

This happened just a few blocks away from me. I know the troop which owns the trailer. It was a pretty big story in the news when it happened and I think a lot of folks had their eye out for the missing trailer. Good for the neighbor who noticed the outline of the troop lettering through the quick paint job!

Our troop recently gave away an old trailer somebody had given us. It was an eyesore sitting outside the church. I almost hoped somebody would steal it!

If I hear more on the outcome of this story I'll post.

Ken