I'm an eagle scout (1986) and going to be a new scout leader. does anyone know a good tree id guide? i know the peterson's guides are out there but i'm looking for something mobile. i ran across TreeID and Northwoods field guides for the iPhone. Anyone know anything about them?

"Master Tree Finder" by May Theilgaard Watts, pub. by Nature Study Guild c.1963, but I have seen a reprint more recently. Pocket size , literally 3" by 5". Organizes trees by leaf shape and size, then bark type. Lists by ecological niche, (swampy, uplands, etc.)too. Nice field guide for North American Trees.

I also recommend the Arbor Day Foundation. www.arborday.org Online tree ID section.

Another option is tree sort cards. I got a set from Forestry Suppliers. The cards have holes punched in them for various tree and leaf characteristics. Take the deck and identify one feature, e.g.: simple vs. compound leaf. Poke a wire through the appropriate hole and shake the deck and the cards are sorted into two stacks - one of simple-leafed trees, one of compound-leafed. Repeat with another characteristic until you've eliminated all but one and that's your tree.

In addition to being accurate, it's a fun learning tool for boys to use.

I prefer a more simple guide.

If you can, find a guide specific to your region. Our state forestry service publishes a guide of common forest trees that is really good. It includes about 150 trees common to the area. It includes a drawing of the leaves, branch structure and fruit, if any, and a map showing the range of the tree. It also has a good description of all the other characteristics of the tree.

I find the omnibus guides too much, especially when working with Scouts. I really don't need a book with all 87 subspecies of the Asian yarrow.