Are You Smarter Than a Boy Scout?

That's the title of an article in the September 2009 "BACKPACKER" magazine, pg.38.

They pit three Boy Scouts of a New Jersey Troop against three BPckr mag "readers" in contests of fire building, first aid, pack packing, bear bagging, cooking, tent pitching, orienteering and... flag folding.

The BSHandbook is frequently quoted.

The Scouts look good in their mixed old and new uni's, and BIG neckerchiefs. The Scouts do good, too, but not quite good enough.

Read all about it. I could not find an internet page for the article.

Take "The Boy Scout Quiz" :::

#10. When planning a route, expect to travel no faster than:

a) 10 miles per day.

b) The slowest hiker in your group.

c) 2 miles an hour."

d) your Scoutmaster.

As a subscriber to the magazine, I know many backpackers today are not very accepting of large groups of Scouts camping nearby. Sometimes I think it's a bit of snobbery. So, I anticipated this article being in more of a negative light.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it was actually very positive in nature. The Scouts were shown as knowledgable, fun loving young men. The author found no need to beat up on BSA. It was a pleasant article and showed the boys had skills comparable to the adult backpackers.

With all of the negative publicity BSA tends to get, this is the kind of good news we need to share. Perhaps a few "Backpacker" readers who got their start as Scouts will be encouraged to sign on as Adult Leaders! "Backpacker" should be applauded for this article.

Ken

I too found the article to be interesting. The Scouts were from the author's old troop in New Jersey.

I didn't think the competition to be so fair, though. The non-Scouts were all adults, with many, many years of experience (the article mentions they get out 10 to 20 days a year, presumably backpacking, and probably have done so for many years). Teen Scouts don't always magically know practical things (such as starting a backpacking stove they had never used before).

Anyway, it was a fun article to read.

Guy

Too bad backpacking is not an eagle required badge. I guess it would require the scouts to learn and use too many outdoor skills and scoutcraft. Better to require badges on topics they also cover in school.

Kudu may kill me for this idea, but I say replace Camping MB as an Eagle required MB and with Backpacking MB with no options.

As for the article, I am definatley gonna get the hospital's copy of the mag and read it!(This message has been edited by eagle92)

Agree with Narriticong, very pleased it was a positive article, not like Outside ragazine, which takes every opportunity to slam the BSA but will make Mike Rowe its coverboy to get more sales yet not mention his strong support of Scouting and the fact that he is an Eagle scout.

It was nicely handled. I think a couple of the tests that used time as the determining factor were not very useful, I mean it took the adults 3 minutes to setup a tent and the scouts 5 - so what? Maybe more first aid/outdoor knowledge type stuff... but overall a good read!

Love Backpacker, its a great magazine and I save them all for reference for myself and my scouts. I even sent in an anonymous gift subscription for one of my scouts 'cause he loves backpacking so much.

Eagle92,

Two problems:

- What do you do about special needs Scouts who are not medically cleared to backpack?

- Backpacking isn't cheap anymore. The cheapest adult pack I saw just now at REI is 179. That doesn't count a fartsack good good for 30F. How do you support affordability?

I'm not saying your proposal is a bad idea; on the contrary, I think it should be added to the option layer for life physical activities group ... swimming or bicycling or hiking or backpacking. I just think that even with a Scout being Thrifty, this is a harder badge to earn from just basic economics.

John,

I hear ya. For scouts with disabilities, they can always appeal that through the process, and I have no problem with that.

As for expenses, I definatley hear ya. You are talking to the guy who got a cheap backpack from Kmart many years ago, only to have the frame crack on him. BUT you can get good, used packs via surplus stores and Ebay. I used an ALICE pack for a good number of years, and have let my son use it on occasion. I bought it over 20 years ago, and it was highly "expereinced" when I got it.

If we made Backpacking required, it may spark a used gear inventory like uniforms with some troops. As scouts outgrow stuff, they can pass it along to those needing it.

Then again making it an optional MB in the fitness catagory would be a better fill.

John

REI is hardly the store to price compare, lol. I still have my old canvas backpack and frame from the late sixties when I was a scout, it has outlasted three of my REI backpacks with only one slight repair, and gets used just as often. Unfortunately the less expensive REI backpacks seem to have been getting much cheaper in quality as of late. My current REI pack is really starting to look like it is about to fall apart any minute, so I guess I will always have my old canvas pack to rely on.

My 1st generation Camp Trails Skyline pack lasted well into the 90s. I had the one that you had nylon flatcord cinches. Dad's pack, bought the very next year, discarded the cinch cord and went to rivets. Dad's pack also had the first of the 4" hip belts. Mine was 2" nylon web, period.

What might make sense is a very careful review of the entire Camping MB curriculum. Some of my thoughts:

- Camping log cannot open until you are a First Class Scout.

- Bump the camping requirement up to 30 days and nights.

- Allow ONE long-term residential camp in the log, up to 6 nights.

AND

- Allow ONE backpacking expedition in the log, up to 6 nights OR

- Allow ONE canoeing expedition in the log, up to 6 nights.

Either of those latter two require set-up/tear down nightly. One goal of camping is the ability to establish a comfortable sleep for yourself.

I think also increasing requirement 8 (camp cookery) be increased to: While at a long-term camp or on an expedition, serve as Patrol Cook for six meals (two breakfasts, two lunches, and two suppers). Prepare meals for yourself, at least seven other Scouts, and one adult. NOTE: This is absent an Advancement change which brings Cooking MB back to the Eagle List.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

camping log to start in Webelos -- helps get more to crossover. rgular summer camp can be used once & up to a max of six days. . High Adventure may be used without limit as long as 50 miler is earned each time. Twelve nights must be sleeping alone. Four nights tent must be no closer than 100 yds from next nearest.

cooking for two days won't allow everyone else a chance to cook. cooking for nine people is a lot of work! won't have time for anything else. he will have two kitchen helpers??

I have to disagree with you Boomer as well. Webelos do not do as much camping, nor is the focus on mastering skills. Further the Webelos leaders don't have the IOLS training in most cases. Finally it can be intersting keeping track when they go from pack to a troop.

However I do like the idea of Webelos camping and workign with patrols in a troop. We need more of that INHO.

I do believe I understand your points of view. But, how much skill does it take to sleep in a tent?

Council camp runs a four day summer camp for Webelos. Gives them a taste of Scouting, and what they can look forward to (graduating from BB rifles to real firearms, etc). Lots of Mothers & den chiefs in attendance. I think being under canvas should earn some credit.

Thirty nights after First Class may take three years. Many will just say to heck with it

Requirement 4b: help a Scout or Webelos prepare for a campout. So, why not go the rest of the way with this? Give them a card or certificate to later stick in their logbook

Boomer,

One challenge is what you just said, lots of "mothers and den chiefs in attendance." I strongly feel that they need to be in a patrol, under the asupices of a patrol leader, doign their share of the work and living in the patrol method, which is the heart of scouting. Somwetimes the parent or older brother who is the DC can spoil the expereince. On my Webelos overniter way back when, I remember my "KP partner's dad called him over while we were suppsoed to wash dishes. Seems dad didn't think son didn't need to do anything as he was a "guest" So I got stuck doing the KP by myself. Also on one Webelos overniter the troop did, I remember a bunch of the parents, mostly the moms, who were complaining that we were doign activities in the rain and not only prevented the Webelso from doing stuff, but also interfered with the PLC's wishes of continuing on with the scheduled activities: a daylong hike at a national battlefield. Lots of ticked off scouts frm the interferring CS parents.

Further Webelos are still Cub Scouts, with Cub Scout advancement that they are working on.(This message has been edited by eagle92)