Raise in Registration Fees

You can say it's only $5, but a 50% raise is a big step anywhere. Individually, it isn't much, but when you start multiplying it out, it adds up. For our troop the increase in youth fees alone will equal the cost of sending a boy to summer camp. This year, when we had a Scout whose parents were out of work, we had the money in the treasury to cover his camp fees. Will that money be there next year or will it go to Irving?

Wasn't one of the benefits of all the new on-line stuff that it would save money by eliminating the cost of hard-copy literature. I love how stuff like that always, ALWAYS, gets turned around. Since all the data entry chores for recharter and advancement have been pushed off to the units, where's the labor savings? We still have the same registrar and "program assistant" drawing salaries.

Given the choice between a $5 fee increase and a new permanent National Scouting Center for Jamborees AND a new National High Adventure Base - OR - keeping dues where they are and having neither the new Jambo/Scouting Center nor the new National High Adventure Base...

Let me think....

I think I'll take the $5 increase.

Scouting is still the best, most reasonably priced program out their for kids.

Twocubdad - don't forget to ask about council camperships for needy families.

Scouting is a good bang for the buck but only because it runs on the backs of the volunteers.

If national took a year off I'd never notice. Only thing I can think of that would be a problem would be the processing of Eagle apps.

Just as an observation ... the online training, etc., requires a substantial investment at the start and for system maintenance later. You can't just launch one of these systems with no support.

That said, that's an increase of nearly $20 million a year in revenue. Not chump change, no matter how you look at it.

Brent, I agree with you if National comes through with those centers than it is worth it, otherwise it is just another Mazzuca Money Manuever.

shortridge, those on line trainings, while being convienent, are pretty worthless from a learning point of view, the tests are a joke, and the lack of useful information gives new and other leaders the illusion that they are trained to run a program. Heck lets make WoodBadge on line too, the current format would fit, lol. It is nothing more than a lazy way out of training that is so desperately needed by so many leaders these days.