youngest silver beaver recipient

I was wondering if anyone knows who the youngest silver beaver recipient is. There is an asst. sm in our troop who claims he is the youngest silver beaver in the country at age 26...can anyone verify?

I have no idea if national tracks those kind of statistics. I think National is provided with who is being presented with the Silver Beaver, but may not be able to verify that information.

I have to ask: why is that important?

I am also surprised that someone that young did get it. The Silver Beaver is for doing service to scouting at a council level. An ASM has to be doing a LOT of stuff to be so recognized. Even a SM at that age getting it would be rare.

I don't think it's that rare. We had a guy who came up as a youth...SPL, Eagle, Vigil, Lodge Chief, JASM, ASM, Camp PD, Camp Director, SM, etc. Then he became active at the District level and within a year or two, had the DAM and SB. Not to imply it wasn't deserved...just fast.

yeah...i agree, and theres no importance from the question, just curiosity. I have met others who were young as well and basically these few individuals have dedicated their enitre life to scouting, putting the program before their work and families, which is no reason to have been awarded such an award, but in the same token if such an individual has that kind of determination and passion for the program of course the board may award a person like that on such a rare occasion. I agree with your statements.

Young, yes, but rare no. I know one gentleman, who did so much for the council that within a period of 5 or so years got lodge honor neckerchief (local council award), Vigil(as a youth), Founders' Award (as a youth), DAM, and SB. Super active on the lodge, district, and council level. I think he was 21 when he got the DAM, and 23 or 24 when he got SB. Truly deserved it.

• 10 years later...

I don't know if any of you still use this site, but I did have some info about my grandpa Joseph Edward Wherry l, who was the youngest at 36 years old and received the Silver Beaver Award in 1983. Granted that was a long time ago, I haven't heard about anyone else younger. I feel like this probably would've been beaten by now but I just wanted to put this out there if this could help anyone out.

• Upvote 1
16 hours ago, GrantWherry said:

I don't know if any of you still use this site, but I did have some info about my grandpa Joseph Edward Wherry l, who was the youngest at 36 years old and received the Silver Beaver Award in 1983. Granted that was a long time ago, I haven't heard about anyone else younger. I feel like this probably would've been beaten by now but I just wanted to put this out there if this could help anyone out.

Your grandfather's volunteer legacy can help us all! Please tell us more. From Boys Town Alumni, Joseph Edward Wherry (1948-2014), ...the epitome of servant leadership.

1285.jpg

Boys Town alumnus, US Navy Vietnam disabled veteran, long time Scouter, national service officer for Veterans Association...

Scout Salute and farewell.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1