How Common are units targetted for a specific demographic group?

My Daughter was adopted from China, and our local "Families with Children from China" group sponsors a GS Unit specifically for girls who came to their families via adoption from China. (My Daughter is still a few years too young for it now)

I know the LDS especially has a lot of involvement on the BS side of things, with units specifically targeted toward their denomination.

I've also heard of other Cub/Boy scout units for kids with special needs.

How common are these sorts of "Targeted" (for lack of a better term) units? I know that the vast majority of scouting units are not of this sort. For those with special needs, I can definately understand the importance and difference in approach that would be needed. For the other two examples, I can see how the shared religion or cultural background may be something that is important to focus on... But I'd hate to see that focus weaken or over-dilute the scouting program as well.

Do these sorts of targeted units do well over the long run? Does anyone have experience at incorporating some sort of shared cultural background within a unit, while still keeping the Scouting end of things well run?

In my area, LDS is not real big. However, they do have their own units. These tend to be quite small, given the size of the population they have to draw from. Some of the local Catholic churches sponsor their own units too. While not all boys in those units belong to the Church, most usually do. I'm told leader selection in Catholic units is also more rigorous and it can be hard for a non-member adult to become a registered leader with them.

There used to be a Venturing Crew for people with severe developmental disabilities. I'm told it was basically a way for the parents of these young adults to spend a little time together. Not so unlike a lot of crews, it was more a clique of friends than anything else.

Personally, I would far rather see groups of people mix and learn about each other. In cub scouting, there are lots of opportunities to broaden kids' horizons. For example the local elementary schools had an international festival each year and we incorporated that into our cub year. We did a wide variety of cultural activities connected to that. We had local high school foreign exchange students visit too. There are also some beltloops (heritages, language & culture, and geography) to draw on. And most kids like to know about other places and have a chance to ask questions.

Later, at the boy scout level, I think there may be fewer "organized" opportunities like that, but making friends across ethnic or linguistic or religious lines is a powerful thing. When boys discover that it doesn't matter where you're from, a camp fire is still a camp fire, they can really open up and learn a lot from each other.

So yeah, I'm for scouting bringing kids together, not dividing them based on their backgrounds. I am sort of surprised about the girl scout troop you describe.

I think it depends on the Chartering Organization (a concept that the GSUSA does not use). I have read about units in Scouting Magazine for Hmong boys and we once had a Sea Scout Ship consisting of muslims. If a CO desires to "target" (or "limit", depending on your POV) their unit, they are free to do so.

It all depends upon the CO. I know that LDS units typically have only LDS members as their Scouting program integrates their religious program.

With the three units I've been with that have been chartered by individual Catholic Churches, we've had a mix of folks in the unit and in adult positions. The only added requirement that one Ctholic CO implemented was that not only did we have to undergo YPT with the BSA, we also had to go through the diocese's version of YP. unfortunately I moved back to NC before I ent through that course. Also the church did their own background check prior to submitting the application to the council. Helps to have the local sheriff as a parisshioner.

Also when I was a pro, I worked with several local churches in an attept to start some packs and troops that focused on workign with at-risk youth.

We have a Vietnamese troop and pack in our district and I understand that it is common in other areas as well. Scouting was big in South Viet Nam and they use it here to help maintain cultural identity. I have never seen anyone top them at scoutcraft.

Their SM showed me a picture of a signal tower they lashed together at Camporee in South Viet Nam, circa 1964. It was a bamboo replica of the Eiffel Tower and judging by the size of the of scouts standing on it I would say it was about 50' tall!

We also have a couple of African American troops chartered by churches in the Black community. There are several LDS units as well.

There have been efforts to organize an Hispanic troop in our district but this has not yet been successful.

LDS units are open to non LDS members (leaders and boys), but interest is usually limited because of the integration of the religious program. My small troop in west Texas doubled in size with some non-LDS friends of one of our boys and they were just fine. We also picked up a few when the other troop in town fell apart last summer.

I can't say for sure but I think it may be roughly the same way with a number of other churches that charter a unit.

I can see a purpose for targeting units when the target groups has needs that require operational adaptations away from the "default" troop style. We need to be careful about over-targetting for each demographic, though.

"I can see a purpose for targeting units when the target groups has needs that require operational adaptations away from the "default" troop style. We need to be careful about over-targetting for each demographic, though."

I think that if targeting like this will get kids into the program that would otherwise not be involved, it's probably good. But I'd hate to (for lack of a better term) "Segregate" ourselves out, especially on Racial lines.

The choice is between No scouting presence in the African American community, vs. Approaching A-A Churches to become COs for packs/troops, then I'd say approach them. However, if there is a possibility of having packs/troops that cross racial/ethnic lines, and recruit from a whole community, I'd much rather do that. (likewise with other racial groups, etc.) And I think one of the priorities of any district with such units should be to make sure to encourage interaction with other units heavily.

Units aimed at certain racial groups have always been common in the BSA on the council and National level. Our new chief scout exec. seems to have a single focus for new units and that is the hispanics. Soon he will understand why his focus will not be terribly successful with this group, who prefer family oriented activities/organizations for brothers and sisters to be able to participate together, guess what BSA doesn't have that. Secondly good luck getting these people to register since many are not here legally and tend to move often to avoid any conflicts with the law and by staying under the radar. Maybe Mazzucca will have some luck with third generation hispanic families who have been here a while, but I kinda doubt it because the culture is the strongest tie for these people. By the way these reasons I just gave were not my own but directly said to me recently by hispanic families during a recruiting drive at the local Catholic church.

BadenP- Thanks for stating what many of us in the "border states" already know to be true (even if the local councils aren't permitted to state it).

I think BSA has historically, and to some extent recently, unintentionally divided its units based on a common community connection. Whether that be LDS, Catholic, or other church, or other civic organization based on the Chartered Organization for the given unit (i.e. Free Mason, Knights of Columbus, Rotary, etc...)

I am very glad and VERY proud that my son is in a very diverse pack. We have LDS scouts in a non-LDS unit, we have Catholics, Jews, Hindus, and every flavor of national heritage (many 1st generation) hispanic, latino, indian, french, scottish, Samoan (sp?), and philipino... we have gifted kids and autistic kids and every flavor of intellect in between (some flux from genius to moron within one meeting !!)

It makes for a great group and teaches the kids how to get along with folks from very varried backgrounds... which most of us will have to do on a routine basis as adults, and which (I've always thought - is a primary goal of what we are trying to do in scouting).

I really have problems with "targetted" units. I find it quite curious that units are allowed to "target" a given segment of the population. One man's 'common connection' is easily another man's prejudice.

Funny, you never see a "targetted" recruiting for 'whites only, protestant' scout units.... Maybe they could get those nice folks in the sheets to have their church be the Chartered Organization? Like I said - one man's "targetted" audience is another man's prejudice / discriminator.

To me what national is doing with targetted unit recruitment is no better than a unit that does NOT allow minorities into their unit.

Targetting fragments people, fosters fear and resentment of those different than our own, and ultimately works against what BSA stands for. Yes, there will be predominantly hispanic or black or white units, because the neighborhoods they serve are demographically that way. But to limit recruitment to ONE race / religion is a very short step from not inviting all to join. That's not an organization I want to see BSA turned into. Would a black kid feel comfortable in our unit? I don't know. But I do know that we would not turn them away if they wanted to join... any and all welcome.

I leave the 'feeling left out / not good enough / not cool enough / not (whatever) enough' attitudes to the sports leagues and other youth organizations that teach from a very young age that one is only welcome when one fits into the mold and can perform well immediately. I think of BSA as the place where the kids from all walks can come and be part of the group and part of the team. If this is not BSA, then I want out.

Just wondering if Mr. Mazzucca's vision for hispanic units includes alternate paperwork written in ENGLISH for those you show up to round-up night and don't happen to speak the majority's language?

If the OP's question is "How common are units targetted for a specific demographic group?"....

My reply would be, "Far more often than is prudent for the overall health and wellfare of BSA as an organization. The youth are better served by being inclusive than devisive in our recruiting strategies." Maybe one day - the powers that be at National will figure this out.

we have a unit targeted at home schooled boys since they were being missed in roundup and some (only a few) local troops had issues with home schoolers. We are also trying to start a deaf troop since we have a school for the deaf here. Lots of boy interest but not enough adults since many boys are "boarders".