I am a life scout and a scribe. I have been a Senior Patrol Leader 5 terms and ASPL for 2! I am just now getting used to being an average scout. BUT, half of my troop are Staff members for a Summer Camp. Our Spl is gone and we haven't heard from our ASPL in months. Elections are coming and nobody appears to be interested in running. I am not trying to sherk my responsibility as an older scout, but I don't really care to run again. And I have gotten less popular and I just don't want to get laughed at. What should I do, run or not to run, That is the question.

To run or not to run.... that is the question....

Well, if you are feeling burned out and you have held the positions needed to fullfill your rank requirements, then I would consider the "not running" part. You are not avoiding your responsibilities as much as you would be clearing the way for some fresh blood to have an opportunity to lead.

If you find it in your heart to run, then by all means, do so.

This is a tough choice that only you can make for yourself. Adult life is full of these, so good you get the practice on one like this :)

I might suggest, if you don't want to run, you call up a few of your buddies and personally encourage them to do it. Tell them you have done the job before and will be there to help them and lend guidance. If they ask why you aren't doing it - tell them you have already had your turn, plus as a Life scout - you are beginning to think about an Eagle project and how much time and planning it will take. You don't want to let your Patrol down by not doing your best at your duties because you are busy with an Eagle project, so you thought it would be a good time to support someone else who wants to step-up and take the reins.

Think "salesman" or "business" merit badge... you need to "sell" your freinds on why it should be THEM doing it this go around and not YOU again - they are valid points and its wouldn't be a lie.

Best of luck - I know you'll do the right thing for you and your Patrol / unit.

A leader sees a need and steps up. A leader worries about getting the job done not getting "laughed at". Being a leader is not about winning popularity polls. Leadership is now, not a resume of the past.

Step up, lead your troop by example, train our replacement, help your troop. Other paths will soon appear.

Your choice.

If the SPL and and ASPL are not doing their jobs,then by all means step up to the plate. Follow the plans made at the yearly planning session, keep the troop following the PLC's monthly program, and keep the troop youth run. Then when either of them come back, be prepared to step down. But keep the troop youth led!

I measure leadership only with the idea of "caring". Obviously the other senior "leadership" doesn't "care" thus shows no leadership. If you "care" then step and and lead, it's obvious that the troop needs scouts that show "caring" leadership. It's the only valid measurement of leadership in my book. If you "care" more about your image than leading, then you don't really "care" about the troop. If the word caring in relationship to others seems to be popping up in the conversation, then I'd take it seriously and step up and lead. It sounds from your original post that "caring" seems to be motivating you in the first place. :D

Stosh

I can and do see how you would want to just kick back and take it easy.

I think it's a little strange that you choose Leadership as a heading?

Sometime back i was reading something which I should have copied but didn't!

It talking about leadership.

As I remember it..

Back in the day a great Englishman was leading an expedition to deepest darkest Africa. (Back in the day Englishmen were known for this type of thing!)

He found a wonderful native guide.

The guide lit the fires, cooked the meals, used his knowledge to ensure that the expedition was heading the right way and avoided nasty stuff like quicksand and of course prides of man eating lions.

About half way the guide got news that his family was unwell. So he left the party.

Things fell apart.

So the big question was "Who really was the leader"?

You might well decide not to run for another term of office. (To be honest, I wouldn't blame you for not running!)

But I kinda think that while you might not wear the patch, you stand a very good chance of ending up like the Native Guide.

You have to make up your own mind as to what you want to do.

The choice should be your choice.

I think however if I were your SM.

I would take you to one side and thank you for your past services, I might ask you what you think you did well while you were serving as SPL? - I might ask what you think the role of an ASPL is? Who does he work with? Why does he work with this person? Where should a ASPL be heading after his term of office is over?

Going back to the Englishman in Africa.

Do you think things would have been different if the Guide had taken time to train the party in how to light the fires, cook the meals and avoid the pitfalls.

"Help other people at all times"

How do you think you could help?

Eamonn.

• 2 weeks later...

Sparta Patrol,

You are quickly learning one of the final lessons of leadership that often gets neglected.

"What is going to happen when I leave? Will all the hard work I put in simply disappear? Will it all have been for nothing?"

The lesson I am talking about is succession planning - finding the person or persons who are going to take the position you are leaving, and training them to fill it. Hopefully you can keep them from making some of the mistakes you made when you first took the position, and they can get up the learning curve much faster with your knowledge. I think you will find the hardest part of this lesson is finding the right person to fill your position. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...