I do not go out of my way to bend or break rules.

I think this sets a bad example for the Scouts/youth members that we serve.

At times I find them that look for the loop-holes to be even worse than the guy who just says "To heck with it! I'm doing it my way." At least that guy is being honest about it.

I have at times knowingly put the rules to one side.

I don't always follow each and every step of the Safe Swim Plan.

Rather than leave a little Lad alone at a camp site when everyone else had gone, I've opted to give him a ride home. With just the two of us in my car.

I have set up archery and BB ranges in my back yard for Pack picnics. (Using BSA trained instructors and equipment borrowed from the Council.

I even wore my WB beads with a Sea Scout uniform!!

Most times when I break a rule, I know that I'm breaking it.

I'm not in any way suggesting that breaking rules is a good thing or that people should go around breaking the rules.

I'm aware that there is some risk involved in breaking rules.

God forbid that anything should happen, because I didn't mark off a Swim Area, even though all the Scouts have passed a swim test and we have BSA Lifeguards and qualified adult supervision.

Sure the Lad I gave a ride home, might in twenty years time turn around and say I assaulted him and I run the risk of losing everything I own.

OK, I think the no beads with a Sea Scout uniform is daffy and maybe I'm guilty of thumbing my nose at that one!!

I don't as a rule check what the rules or guidelines are before I do things.

This might just be me being mule-headed? But I like to think that I have a gut feeling for what is right and what is wrong.

I have of course made mistakes, seen things not go as they should and at times ended up looking very silly.

For the most part, I'm happy that the rules are there and I do try to understand why they are there.

I work on the theory that I have enough common sense and care enough about the kids and adults that me worrying about liability and being sued, will make me go gray and I have white hair now??

Eamonn.

No Wood Beads with a Sea Scout uniform? There'd be a riot over here if anyone tried that.

According to our child protection rules we can't hug one of the young people in our care, now that might make sense with the age range I deal with (14-18yrs, many of them girls), but Mrs Chug is a Beaver Leader (6-8yrs). How cruel do you have to be not to give one of them a hug if they've fallen over and hurt themself?