My dad used to tell me that swimming at the YMCA pool was always in the nude...this was the 20s/30s when girls weren't allowed at the yMca. The locker room at camp and the pool was always open with zero privacy. We had a shower in each campsite...picture an outhouse with a shower attached to it (60s). 2-3 of us would get in there at a time to save time. We didn't linger, since the well water was not heated! Showering in high school was mandatory following PE and the teacher was in there watching to make sure you did. The shower was a large room with 4-6 poles in it with 4 shower heads on each pole. Our community rec center is the same, and it makes me nervous because they don't have any YP rules...I can be showering and in walks a couple of kids. Our pool house at camp still has open showers for the boys and men (separated), but when they added a women's shower, they got individual stalls. Wassup with that? When my son's best friend joined the Army and went to Afghanistan, he wrote back that their biggest complaint was that they had to take communal showers! If I were to go skinny dipping at the beach or lake, they would call the Stranding Team to save the great white whale that had beached itself! When did we instill such prudish modesty in our kids? And to what purpose?

The SC governor, Mark Sanford, just gave his mea culpa, confessing to having an affair with a woman in Argentina. Her name is not "Appalachian Trail". I guess 'gone backpacking' is a phrase that will be viewed with suspicion from now on. H'mmmm. Backpacking. Why did he have to pick THAT as his cover?

Edited part: At first I thought this would clip my wings but then, looking in the mirror, I realized...nope, never happen, not in this lifetime. She won't need to be the least bit suspicious.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

When I was in high school in the early 70's, we had to take showers after PE. The shower was a maze that everyone had to walk through - you couldn't avoid getting wet - and the gym teacher handed out towels at the end. The school had a pool, and all swimming was done au natural.

Today's generation won't even change clothes if someone else is in the tent with them. ("Somebody might see my boxers...") At least these guys don't go around looking like plumbers.

No problem...the Democratic Party will accept him with open arms, like Bill Clinton.

I'm ordering my "Ron Paul 2012" bumper stickers today. There ain't a Democrat OR Republican out there worth my vote any more.

When you're in the back country things are different. There are no showers or bathrooms. Everybody knows that people are going to go behind a tree to do their business, and I'm not sure why it would be any different going around the bend of a creek to take a quick bath.

On the other hand, I've never gone on a trip that lasted long enough that I couldn't just do without a shower for that long. You can always take off your shirt and wash up a bit. Also, if you have a swim suit, you can bath with it on.

Last week at Webelos camp my son and I showered in camp with our swim suits on using the old outdoor sun-heated water tank shower next to the latrine. There were two shower heads, so we showered at the same time and the heat lasted long enough. It was better than the showers at the swimming pool.