Swearing & Aggressive Parent

He'd like to be Scoutmaster yet he's rough handled a few boys (just shoving & very rude).

The swearing might be in the policy somewhere but I can't find it.

He's known to take brandy from a flask too. Some of the boys have seen this nipping of "medicine".

There is no debating the official position. There's no debating it must be addressed. It's just what to do about it? To address this issue won't be pretty.

How have others dealt with this?

Are you serious? He shoves people, swears at people, and drinks brandy while on scout activities, and anybody is even considering allowing him to be SM?

You need to show this fellow the door. Now.

You don't mention who you are in the unit. That matters a little bit in terms of who does what to whom. If you are an ASM, you work for and report to the SM, and you owe him loyalty. If you are an ASM, I recommend you do an adult leader app to move yourself to the Committee.

I agree with Lisa: The bottom line is easing this person out as SM with all due speed.

The right actors are the Troop Committee Chairman and the Chartered Organization Representative.

- The Chairman's role is to investigate the facts of the matter and report his findings to the COR. The Chairman may want to enlist the aid of your Unit Commissioner, an experienced Scouter and a friend of the Troop.

- The COR, who represents the interests of your Chartered Partner (the church, club, or business that sponsors your Troop) is the one who notifies the SM of his removal, and also notifies the Council to remove him from association with your unit.

The Committee Chair will need dates, what happened, and who observed it. Those folks who report incidents need to understand the COR might ask to visit with them.

If your Committee Chair won't support this, then a delegation of Scouters and parents may approach the COR directly, but understand something very clearly: One of you will most likely be asked to step up to the plate. Without someone to replace Mr Scoutmaster, this is an exercise in wasting time. That's a commitment of several years to training, to service, and to mentorship of the youth.

Good hunting. Let us know how this turns out.

Another thing to consider. If this person is really doing all you say and the troop's charter organization still desires to continue his tenure as SM (or perhaps in any adult position at all), it might be better for you just to leave the troop and find a different one. Any troop that lets a person like that stick around in leadership when the problem is well known is a troop I would not want my kid to be part of, and a troop where I would decline to waste my energy volunteering.

The OP says "he'd LIKE to be SM"...I take that to mean he is NOT YET the SM, but would like to be. As the others said...NO WAY. Selecting leadership is the job of the CO/COR. Just say "no, thanks".

Given what scoutldr noticed, it's simply put,

The Committee Chair tells him "Sir, physical contact with youth crosses lines in Youth Protection. It's not acceptable. Drinking at Scout events is not acceptable. You will not have my support for any registered leadership position in this Troop. Good Day."

If necessary, the COR can back it up with "Sir, the things you do concern us: Swearing, drinking, and physically handling youth. You are not permitted to attend the Troops' outings, nor are you permitted inside meetings other than Courts of Honor. If you choose not to associate your son with our organization and Troop, we will arrange to transfer his records. Good Day."

Right now I'm still "just a dad" who used to be the District Training Chair. I'm still on the District & Pack Committees (the pack my son just moved up from last year where I was CM). Tragically I wasn't at last night's adult meeting.

Other than the belligerence, the SM just became aware of the situation last night so the COR & other leaders probably aren't yet aware of the situation yet. The shoving incident occurred this past weekend. My son was the target. My wife was a witness.

This individual is on the charter but hasn't completed any training other than online YP & SM (according to him). For the record, I detest online training for anything other than YP renewal. I like to look new Scouters in the eye, shake their hand & engage them in conversation. Computers lack this ability.

The brandy flask was apparently witnessed by two Eagles on a recent outing. Coincidentally, I remember a "medicine" comment during a camping trip last fall but dismissed it as cough medicine. Now I wonder.

I'm thinking the COR would be the first in line for this situation but I'm not yet responsible to take action on "he said, she said". Suffice to say this matter will be dealt with.

Agreed it is an adult responsibility to act here. Interesting to know what the Scouts would say if they had to decide. Has anybody asked? If they don't want him - end of discussion isn't it? Doesn't matter why unless they are a serious mess themselves.

Fill out an adult application for the troop ASAP.

From what you have told us about this person I would want my son and anyone else's child as far as possible away from them. You said they were at campout. Did they drive other scouts? If they have to take "medicine" were they driving and taking "medicine" while on the way to/from camp? Scary.

You and your wife need a cup of coffee with COR and/or CC. You wife needs to tell what happened to your son. 1st person.

As for asking scouts if they want him there not their say. Adult issue.

If nothing is done with this adult I would run to another troop. Not worth the hassel for years to come. It is every adult volunteer's duty to safe guard all members.

An adult putting their hands on a scout, my son or not, I don't think so. My troop would have had adult males all over that right then and there. The she tigers would have been waiting in the wings. LOL

Good luck. Please update this thread.

Shoving people & drinking? At Scout meetings & outings? If so, let your Charter Rep know & advise them you would like this person removed from the charter. There is no place in Scouting for people like this.

Being "just a dad", I would be in the guy's face and say, "if you EVER lay a hand on my son or anyone else's again, you will be charged with assault."

Then I would report the YP violation to the Scout Executive, as the training directs you to do.

I am really confused here. Is the person in question the current SM? If not, what position, if any does he currently hold? You say that the SM just became aware of the situation so I think that the person in question is not the SM but wishes to become one. Is the current SM planning to leave or this guy trying to organize a coupe d'etat?

Hal

Anytime a leader puts his hands on a Scout, even in self defense, a report needs to be made toe the SE and/or Police. That is in YPT. The leader is to be removed from scouting pendign further investigation.

Also alcohol is forbidden, and can lead to a scouter having their memebrship revoked.

This is not something to play areound with. Parents entrust us with their kids and we cannot use force on the kids or have our judgement impaired by alcohol.

If the guy is not yet SM, and has expressed interest or applied for the position and the COR and CC don't believe he is the best qualified candidate all that needs to be said is, "We appreciate your interest but we don't see a need for your service." If he asks why, they can choose to explain the facts of life to him or not. They don't need a reason to not appoint him as SM. An honest appraisal of their reasoning might help the individual improve, but from what it sounds like, I doubt it.

SA

I agree Eagle92. This is a very serioius matter. It could be a sign of something much bigger than what is apparent.

In all my years of Scouting I've never been faced with such a troubling or serious situation.

Don't worry. I have sufficient clout with Council this man will never attain the leadership position he desires.

I appreciate all of your concerns & advice.