Ahoy from the the Bay of the Rats

I am glad to have found this forum. The information here is very useful and helpful.

I am an Assistant Scoutmaster and also a Pack Committee Member. I am also a former Cubmaster. Together with my wife, we have been very active in Scouting.

I have two sons - One is a Webelos 1 and the other is a First Class Scout.

We live near Boca Raton, Florida. Translated, that means rat mouth. The original name is "Boca de las Ratones." Boca also means a bay. Ratones refers to the pirates or "rats" who hid in the bay. Boca de las Ratones = bay of the rats.

I hope perhaps I'll be able to add to the usefulness of the forum in order to help other Scouts and Scouters.

Howdy neighbor. I'm across the state from you now close to Tampa. I did live in Boca many years ago we used to drive all the way out to 441 to see the cows. Now there are golf course communities out there but back then it was just cows. I always thought the boca raton referred to the boca inlet looking a little like the mouth of a rat with the nice big belly of boca bay down a lengthy esophagus. look at the google map of the inlet you'll see it. How is summer camp at Tanah Keeta I see from the other thread your son went their?

scottteng:

The summer camp at Tanah Keeta is a very good program - my son is very excited about going back again this year.

The caveats:

A. The hike and orienteering sections were awful.

B. As with anything else in Scouting, results depend upon the boy and the Patrol / Troop.

A final note: Tanah Keeta's man-made facilities are uniformly, well, a dump. The boys learn to "rough it" by living in hot, humid and buggy conditions with very crude facilities.