Presenting the Flag & Bugling

I need some opinions...

Our Troop has been asked to "color guard" the flags in a parade for our local museum. The parade terminates at the museum, natch, but there is no flag pole at the museum. What they want us to do, is , with appropriate ceremony, place the flag poles (US and State) in stands at the band stand on the museum grounds, where there will be a festival thru the day. Note: the band stand will be used by several acts, and there is no plan for a 'band' to play the Star Spangled Banner at the flag placement.

Question 1: would it be appropriate to bugle "Call to the Colors" as the flags are dropped in the flag stands? All 45 seconds of it ? a shortened version? Or only do the commands to the color guard and salute the flags and PoA as usual in a meeting?

Question 2: There is no "official" closing for the festival, so we anticipate just waiting for the museum folks to say "g'bye" and then we retrieve the flags and go home.

Thots?

The appropriate bugle call to honor the national flag is To The Color when a full band is unavailable to play the National Anthem. To The Color should be given the same honor as the National Anthem. So yes, it would be appropriate in the situation you described.

And tell your bugler to pick up the tempo.

I generally play it in about 23 seconds ( that's leaving out the 4 measures at the end, during the repeat ) - which makes it the shortened version. If the flag is still being raised/lowered when I get there, I give it the full - which adds about 5 seconds to the call.

Oh, yeah, as to the closing....

The rule is when the colors are presented they should also be retired. Even if no one is around, have your Scouts do a proper flag recovery at the end of the day. Bugle and all. That "we do it right even when no one is looking" is likely the best lesson your Scouts will learn that day.

Just to let you know how things went, we (the Troop) got mucho kudos for our color guard. A Brownie Troop , historic horse and wagons and other community groups followed. At the museum site, a Scout read a short anouncement, and the bugling went well. Did the short version as the flags were posted in the stands. AND,(we were not expecting this) a community band rode in a farm wagon thru the parade and when they reached the museum grounds, they played the National Anthem.

A fun time was had by all. Much watermelon, strawberries and burgers and BBQ were consumed.