Increase in Registration fee

I just received a memo from national that as of January 1, 2010 the registration fee will be $15.00 instead of $10.00. The last fee increase was in 2003 when it went from $7.00 to the current $10.00.

David Harrison

I'm ok with that. While nobody really enjoys paying more money for things, I do think $15 is a reasonable registration fee. If it allows the BSA to continue to operate programs and provide support for leaders in a meaningful way, then that's ok with me.

Thank you David, for passing that info along.

$15 is pretty good. I don't think any of my other groups are that cheap. Most of the groups I'm part of have raised their dues in the last few years. I'm paying anywhere from $25 to over a hundred for membership in certain groups.

If units are concerned, they can cover this by doing fundraising.

It's not that I mind a raise in registration fees, however alot of units, such as mine, have already established dues for next year so that we can have an early-bird registration. Now we find out that our budget will be at least $800 in the red.

Oh wait...I forgot leaders...I mean we are now almost $1200 in the red.(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

Sure, its only $5, (10 for my son and I) BUT.... It ain't going to the troop, nor the district, nor the council. Its going to National. Irving. How does that come back to me? Is national going to increase service back to me by 50%? BTW our troop increased our yearly fees by $5 per year, and nary a complaint was heard....but we get a detailed monthly report from troop treasurer, so we know where it went. So what do we get in return?

CA:

You talk of digging in your couch and then you offer Blade some cheese.

Tip to Blade, don't eat the cheese.

Seriously, $15 a year is still quite reasonable. I will try not to think of how much is going to lawyers defending the membership policies.

Hal

Pack212Scouter,

$800 to $1200 is a difference of $400. At a difference of $5/leader, are you suggesting that your pack has 80 registered leaders? Wow! I just can't imagine a pack that size being able to function effectively.

(no offense intented, I am just shocked!)

Buffalo Skipper,

My midnight math was a little off, but we do have a considerable number of leaders to present a program. Our Pack is running around 165-175 boys (that's an additional $825-$875). Last year we had 55 leaders ($275). This year we are looking at about 22-23 Dens. That is 46 Den Leaders, plus a few dens with a third leader, so lets say 50 Den leaders. Plus about 8 Pack Committee positions (Chair, treasurer, activities, awards, etc.) You may think 8 is a lot, but not in a Pack of this size. What are minor positions in most packs become major ones in large packs. Now add in Cubmaster and two Asst Cubmasters. We are up to almost 65, so now we are up to $325. Add in the boys and we are looking at an additional $1100 in a year when we were already cutting dues to the bone, to make less of an impact because of the economy.

And as for functioning effectively, we are this size and growing because we present one of the best programs in the area effectively.

(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)(This message has been edited by Pack212Scouter)

Pack212

HOLY SMOKES

It has been a while since I have heard about a pack that large. I guess that you do have some things good going for you. I can see where you are coming from with the rising cost. I would have to say that if you pay membership fees and stuff I guess you do some killer fundraisers. Personally, if we had weven half of that in our membership then I would be bald, but at least you have the leaders to back it up.