What exactly should a Cub Scout Parent Unit Coordintor be doing?

Can someone please help provide an explanation of what a Parent Unit Coordinator should be doing.

A parent in the Pack started sending out multiple emails a day to all of the pack about upcoming events in the area and things the kids could do to complete beltloops, etc. Well, a few parents got tired of so many emails and mentioned it to the Cub Master. The Cub Master brought it up at the Pack Committee member to the Committee Chairman (it was his wife) and said he was getting a few complaints. It appeared to be taken care of when she sent yet another email asking for replies to who would like to continue receiving the emails. The committee chair then gave his wife the title of "Cub Scout Parent Unit Coordinator." She uses this title to send out the emails and says it is in her "job description" that she should do that. Parents are getting upset and she throws that title in their face. Parents have requested multiple times to have their email address removed from her list. Can anything be done to stop this since the Committee Chair appointed her. She doesn't attend the committee meetings, den meetings or the pack meetings. It is more or less a way to occupy her while she is at home during the day.

Has anyone else had to deal with a parent like this?

My guess is that they are refering to the ScoutParents program. Each unit is now required to have a "ScoutParents Coordinator". The idea is for the coordinator to provide parents with information and encourage them to be an active "ScoutParent".

In your situation though, this sounds like someone taking it to the extreme. They should not be spamming unit parents.

For more information on this program you can visit www.scoutparents.org(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

If I remember correctly, it supposed to be related to New scouts, where this "coordinator" will focus on getting new parents up to speed with the information the Pack provides for all scouts to make the new parents and scouts feel welcome as soon as possible. It will be the secretary's job to keep up with the Pack's communications,is that right?

This lady should be asked to be present at the next committee meeting where someone can research this accuratly and explain to her and her husband what her position is, just not to create discontent with the parents but to keep them inform as participants.

It's terrible that parents get several emails with information about Scouting information/opportunities. I agree that's it's totally outrageous to have Scouting email with all my other SPAM!

What, 2-3 more emails I have to use my finger and .001 carbs to hit "delete"...what is the world coming to?

Ok, sounds ridiculous right? The hardest part in Scouting is getting info out to those who want it. don't want it...delete it. The worst experiences I ever had as CM is trying to call 30 parents. 90% never return the call, 5% changed their # or block all calls and 5% pick up the phone. so 1-2 hours only net a small success.

I got much better response with email and a shorter list of phone calls (people without PC/internet).

Email is an ideal way to get that info out to those with computers/internet. Is does not guarantee delivery/reading, so no "last minute program changes" or the only means of final notifications. It also needs to be made available to those without computers/internet via the pack newsletter (available at Pack Meetings).

To the parents that complain about the email..a filter can weed out emails if they want without much effort..ask them if they would be willing to make "phone calls" to let everyone in the pack know what's going on.. I bet the email complaint goes away pretty quick.

Now if the CC appointed coordinator needs to clearly identify what is "Pack Official Information" that should be CC'd to UC, CM, DL, WL, TL and what is "Suggested Activities" that goes out to the whole pack.

Wait till the parents get their cubs into Scouts and it's the Scouts responsibility to inform the parents....then talk about the other side of the coin,.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

dg98adams...I understand that a filter can be put on or I can hit delete but just so you understand. Last week I received 16 emails in one day from this lady. On Monday I received 5 and yesterday another 3. The suggestion has been put out there for her to put together a newsletter where all the information can be put together and posted on the pack website. Well, that isn't in her "job description". I have put the filter on my email and when they bounced back to her she started sending it to my work email address. I didn't give her that address she figured it out on her own. She knew where I worked and with that it is pretty easy to figure out my email address. Now this is a problem. At this point, anything that comes from this lady is deleted without being opened.

I understand that it is a pain to get information out to all of the kids. My husband is a coach for a couple of youth teams and we also use email to send out information. However, I will tell you that he gathers ALL information and puts it into ONE email every couple weeks. He relies on the parents to get the information at the practices and to go to the organization's website for practices and game details. It seems to work because the kids get to practice, games and other events associated with the team.

I don't have a problem with receiving information from scouts via email but I think there needs to be a limit. I just feel that when so many emails are sent out they become very ineffective because they are just deleted without being read.

I agree that e-mail is invaluable, but multiple e-mails every day is unreasonable, and they will be ignored. We send out a monthly newsletter, and I (CC) typically send about one e-mail a week to everyone in the pack.

If you have a pack website then the issue of overwhelming emails SHOULD be addressed.

A "Notes for Parent blog" can be added that she can post updated info to instead of sending out emails. (depending on your Webmaster skills - low-med technical skills)

I'm toying with a "private/closed Facebook group right now for "Boyscout/Venturing Crew". This one is easier to give to a Scout to manage while keeping admin privileges. Most of the Scouts don't "read" emails.

If a Newsletter that could be attached/posted to the website then that would be better than multiple emails (protect email addresses).

I'm not sure about the exact description, but What I would use that person for is

1) Helping new families get used to scouting and/or things in your pack. Check in with them the first couple months, see if there are any questions, etc.

2) Match up parents with volunteer needs.

Spamming 16 times a day is probably NOT what I'd ask them to do.

ScoutParent Unit Coordinator is a REGISTERED position. Is this woman registered? Has she taken the training for her position? The training she should have is - at the very least - Youth Protection, ScoutParents Unit Coordinator Fast Start, This Is Scouting. Pack Committee Fast Start, and Pack Committee Leader Specific would also be good.

Personally, it does not sound to me like she has taken any training, or have any idea of what her "job description" really is.

According to the Fast Start, her MAIN job description is to recruit parent volunteers for the unit. Starting off small, like getting parents to drive Scouts to an event, and eventually getting them more and more involved until they are doing the bigger, leader jobs, like den leader, Committee Chair, etc. She is supposed to do this by getting to know the families, becoming their friend, helping the unit's parents understand Scouting, working at the unit's new parent meeting, encourage parents participation in unit events, encourage all parents to take training, help new parents to get to know the other parents in the unit, and make sure all of the unit's parent volunteers are recognized for their efforts.

Since she is doing her absolute best to turn parents off, she is not even close to fulfilling any part of her job.

So this person is the information hub for the unit and responsible for recruiting new parents. Interesting. Create a position for something that is already done by other registered volunteers in the unit.