Just a follow-up.

My son attended NYLT last week at Camp Miakonda in northern OH. It was their first NYLT course ever (which had me a little worried, when I found that out). My son is also the first boy from his troop to attend NYLT. He'll be SPL starting in Sept so he should get plenty of use out of the course material.

When we went to pick him up on Friday the first words out of his mouth were "wow mom, it is soooo much better when you truly have a boy-led troop!" He had a GREAT time, says he learned a lot, and is even considering applying to staff NYLT in that council at some future point. Now he just needs to sell what he learned to our troop's adults, since none of them attended and NYLT is a new thing for our troop.

Anyway, hat's off to Erie Shores Council! They ran an excellent program, especially for being their first time through the course. If anybody here is from that council, please pass this along to Dick and Theresa, and their very capable SPL John. And thanks to the forum folks for your input on what to expect too.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad your son had a great time. I know there were some reservations when my ld concil did JLT as htey hadn't had one in 6 years, and I was the only person on staff that went through the last course. However all the other adults had attended or staffed WB, plus a few scouts went to Philmont for the staff course they offer. So I bet you son's course had WBers and possibly some youth who did the same thing.

Again glad to hear your son had a great time.

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard and read much talk about this course.

on the way back to the car yesterday right after his final closing my son remarked, "They taught us that the Patrol is way more important than the Troop and everything in based on the Patrol working together".

He has not stopped talking about the week.

Thank you Staff of Twin Rivers Council NYLT. You did a great job.

• 1 month later...

I think it would have more impact on the boys if they had a full week to immerse themselves. Part of the course as I understand it is the modeling of how a boy-led troop really operates. Seems it requires boys a little jostling and jockeying to get into their new roles and let go of a little of the "well in my troop we do it this way" mentality. Not sure if 2-3 days at a time is enough to accomplish that.

But then, most WB courses I hear about are the format you describe, which works out ok. And maybe the intervening time would give boys more opportunity to think about how their lessons in NYLT apply in their home troops. Maybe talk to the SM more in between and come back to the second weekend of NYLT with more questions, ideas, and perspective.