Could you guys offer me a quick overview of what happens at NYLT? Our troop has never sent anyone to this before, and a few months ago the committee decided that they would pay for next year's SPL to attend.

However, the boy who got elected last night has a scheduling conflict that can't be moved, and he can't attend our council's NYLT. So we're looking for options and I have a couple of questions.

1) Can a boy attend an NYLT out of his council?

2) Would you recommend this? If not, why not?

3) Anybody here from Tall Pines Council (MI), Lake Huron Area Council (MI), or Erie Shores Council (OH) who can tell me whether they recommend their council's program in particular?

4) Are most NYLTs likely to be full by now? (How can we plan this better next year, given that our elections aren't until late May?)

Thanks for the info!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess sending them to another council's NYLT would be up to the council running the course. We have been sending our boys to an out of council NYLT for the last 4 years. One of the first boys to do this is now on the staff for the course. Our council did not run any courses and we still wanted to get our scouts trained. It is just like woodbadge in that participants for them can be out of council too. It's all according to when the course is being run, in our area the spring and late summer are most popular. We made the mistake and sent boys once they had been elected to a position, felt that was the wrong move. Since then we send 2 or 3 boys based on age and interest. Sooner or later they will have a position anyway, this gives them a chance to try different positions and to get the feel for leadership.

NYLT is very similar to Woodbadge. From what my son describes it has a bit less class time with more activities. There is a marked difference with many scouts who go. We had 2 scouts attend each of the last two years. This year we have 6 going.

I would suggest that you encourage all your up and coming leaders to attend next year. Hopefully your newly elected SPL will already be registered. We offer to reimburse our scouts $50 when they complete the course.

Like Woodbadge, it should not matter where he attends. Of course the SM and staff can do a poor or exceptional job but it may be difficult to know this before hand. Good luck getting him a spot. You are coming late and NYLT is being required by some councils for jamboree troop leadership positions so they may be full. You may be able to get him in as an alternate if someone cancels. You might check with your council if you have only looked the calendar. Ours is scheduling a 4th during the winter break.

Prior to JLT there was Brownsea 22. Way my troop did it was that 1 person could go for free, but anyone who met the council's requirements, I believe they were First Class and be in a leadership role(preferably SPL) or have the potential to be SPL, could go with SM's approval. When I went, two of us split the troop's payment.

As for how the course was put on, I am told that it was identical to WB except you don't do the ticket.

When I did JLT staff, all adults, save me, had completed WB or were working their ticket. They counted the BA22 course as meeting the adulot qualifications. Youth staff had to go to the Philmont Course to get trained since my council hadn't offered it. Again JLT mirrored WB, minus the ticket. Heck oneof my youth staffers, who turned 18 and attended WB a few month later said he learned nothing new as ti was the same course minus the WB ticket.

I am told that NYLT also mirrors WB21C. All staff, both youth and adult, must go through EDGE now. Also for those WBers that qualify, theycan now get their 3rd or 4th bead. That just confirms to me that NYLT is "WB Lite."

I am told that it was identical to WB except you don't do the ticket

There is something like a ticket. They have to write their vision for themselves and three goals to meet that helps them fulfill their vision. No hard deadline for completion and all they get is a certificate. I suspect that few officially finish.

I know that people come back from Wood Badge and NYLT very fired up and excited about Scouting in a way they weren't before. That by itself makes it worth the time and expense and "what goes on" is really not as important as knowing the outcome. However, what goes on is some pretty high quality leadership training which I think is likely to leave a lasting impact on a young man which will hopefully benefit him into his adulthood.

Although there is no ticket for the boys to do they do have the vision that they must work on. This though is something that the SM should work closely with the scout on. I have seen too many adults send boys to these expecting to get back trained junior leaders, and they are, but they still need to be guided by the SM to that scouts vision.

For those that went to Woodd badge, if you remember you created your own personal ticket from items based on a specific category, for example diversity was one, others may have include personal goals, spiritual achievement, unit and district goals.

In our Council, at the end of the NYLT the scout is given a ready made ticket with the areas already determined. For example unit help might be, help a struggling patrol achieve success. Or a spiritual item, lead a scout's own service.

Here are our Buckskin ticket items 5 & 6:

5. I will use the skills learned in Finding Your Vision, Setting Your Goals, Preparing Your Plans, the Leading EDGE and the Start, Stop & Continue evaluation tool by planning and carrying out one of the following:

A. Service project

B. Troop outing

C. Court of Honor

I planned and carried out a: _______________________________________________ Date completed__________________

Scoutmaster signature: __________________________________________________________________________________

6. I will use the skills taught in Developing Your Team, Solving Problems, Resolving Conflict, Valuing People by doing the following:

I will help bring one patrol / or patrol members from the Forming or Storming stage to the Norming or Performing stage.

Activity dates: ______________________

Scoutmaster Conference date: _________________________________________

Scoutmaster signature: __________________________________________________________________________________

Now is the vision statement an actual part of the NYLT Syllabus, or is it something added by the council? I ask b/c my old council did something like this at a post conference meeting. Problem was, only about 1/3 to 1/2 of the participants attended. Once they completed the week long course, they got their certificate, received their smokey bear, and they were gone.

John,

Not quite. We actually have 3 camps. However, the council does not run a boy scout summer camp program. Our council does offer NYLT, but it just doesn't fit this boy's schedule. In the past, our troop has not sent anybody to NYLT either. This year, the committee agreed to pay for the SPL-elect to go, which is great, but since our elections for SPL are in late May, many boys already had plans for the week when our council's NYLT course is being held.

So we are looking for options. And next year, perhaps we can do what eagle77 suggested.

Lisa,

We had one more Scout that we were hoping could attend NYLT this year, but he is still in school this week (private school). He called me tonight and he is going to attend next week, so our courses are still accepting Scouts. Our council runs three courses over three weeks. There are around 96 Scouts in the course this week, divided into 2 Troops. I understand the next two weeks will see bigger numbers, around 115 - 120. So yes, Scouts can still get in down here. Good luck.

There are some comments regarding ticket-like requirements for NYLT. There is no such thing in the syllabus.

The "WB Lite" comment is way off base. Could just as easily call Wood Badge NYLT Lite. Neither comment is fair or appropriate. Although much of the classroom content is the same as Wood Badge, NYLT is suitable for young teens. Beyond that, NYLT is far more physical and hands-on.

Both courses teach leadership, and should be considered valuable for any Scout or Scouter.

BDPT00

Thanks, folks. We found a course in a nearby council that still has openings and fits the boy's schedule.

I was looking at the syllabus (all 300 pages of it! And my students think *my* syllabi are long!) online last night. I can see why some of you have called it "WB lite" but yes, it does seem to be much more physically active. Good thing. One of the scout's first questions about it was "do I have to sit in classes and take notes all day long?"

There was a little bit of cajoling involved in convincing him to sign up - he has a busy summer already and hadn't expected to attend NYLT - so I really hope he has a fun time as well as learning a lot.

Our council puts on two woodbadge courses a year. Although one has a schedule suitable for LDS scouters both are open to all scout leaders. None the less that is 8 critters with six patrol members or 48 adults per class and 96 for the year.

Our council has one 36 scout NYLT course offered at the end of the summer camp program.

My opinion, the emphasis is backwards. I would rather have two NYLT youth graduates in my Troop for every one adult woodbadger.