Some of my friends always say, "You're going camping again? Doesn't it get old?"

Last month we inducted a new scout, an enthusiastic Chinese boy. We went on his first campout last weekend. Upon sitting down to breakfast on Saturday morning (Pancakes and Sausage), we were all stunned as the boy pulled out his CHOPSTICKS and ate his breakfast!

And he ate it quicker than the rest of us did with a knife and fork!

He ate all his meals over the weekend with his sticks!

First time in 50+ years I have evere seen this! There is always something new to experience in Scouting! I guess that's what keeps us coming back again and again.......

eagle90 --

I agree. It's always something. If not that, then the other thing.

On our camp-out this past weekend, the senior Scouts forgot tent poles, the adult leader who was cooking breakfast brought the sausage & bacon but forgot eggs and bagels, and then we discovered we forgot the dish soap! We always forget something, but we just don't know what it's gonna be! What ever it is, the loss always stimulates innovation!

Then, at the campfire, one of the new crossover Scouts decided (w/o adult permission or knowledge, I might add!) to toast (actually burn) marshmallows at both ends of a stick. Once he had the flaming remnant on one end of the stick, he flipped the stick around to toast the other one. Unfortunately, the molten cinder wacked up against his lower fore arm and stuck fast. Needless to say, plenty of cold water was needed to get the hot marshmallow off, and then to treat 2nd degree blistering burns. First-aid lesson for all, and now we all know why you only use one end of the stick!

Why can an adult NOT eat with youth? Should this be the norm, it's not my place to say, but there is nothing that forbids it. In a smaller group, there is nothing wrong with that. What about smaller groups? The youth should be planning and organizing themselves, but beyond that, what is wrong here? There is something to be learned by the boys both when eating/cooking with leaders, and in doing it by themselves. Both should be considered, neither should be the only thing considered. Mealtime can be an excellent time for mentorship of a small group.

I've been trying to master the art of eating with chopsticks and so far haven't had much luck.

We are so very fortunate in that young people are willing to share their youth with us.

kenk

There are more than one way to skin a cat!

Staff members on the old WB course ate their meals with the Patrols.

Adult and youth leaders at the Jamboree eat with the Patrols.

Who eats where is not cast in Bronze.

Ea.

Chopsticks are incredibly versatile and easy to make. They do take some practice but my daughter often eats individual grains of rice or blueberries using them.

I know of an instance at one of those teen wilderness camps in which a new arrival with opposition/defiance behavior was told they had to make a wooden spoon to use for eating. They rebelled and used a couple of sticks as chopsticks. The counselors had to scratch their heads for a while...hadn't considered this possibility before, heh, heh. I had to hand it to the teen on that one. ;)

This might be a nice challenge/game for the other boys to learn and for the new guy to 'teach'. Might bring them closer together as a result. I like it.

While our scouts do the cooking, the adults eat with the boys. It's a good way to get to know the boys a little better. Develop a camaraderie, and get them to know the adults better (adult association?).

Huh ... I thought most adults ate separate from the Scouts - except for dining hall type meals.

I like that idea of youth patrols inviting adults ... depending on what/how they're cooking.

In my son's troop the adults are in their own patrol. We do our best to camp well away from the the youth patrols to further encourage/support the boy lead troop. We try to cook fun/cool/really tasty stuff and share the leftovers (we actually try to make leftovers) to share with the youth - to encourage them to try to make fun/cool/really tasty foods. It works VERY well ... so well that we're thinking of making a troop cook book - to capture successful recipes.

Kenk,

That is also an excellent method that many Troops use. Just remember that you don't want to make the mistake that I have seen some Troops make (It doesn't sound like yours is). "Boy led" does not mean "boy run." I've seem some troops where the adults are just about completely hands-off with troop planning. They don't seem to remember that mentorship is the the purpose of boy led method, not letting them run amok. I've seen troops that expect a SPL with only a little leadership experience, and no management experience to be able to jump in and do the same job that people with many years of experience sometimes find difficult. Then they replace him in six months when he is just getting the hang of it. The purpose of adult leaders is to mentor and assist where needed, not run their own camping trip and let the boys flounder continually, although occasional floundering can be it's own learning experience too ;)

Sorry, just one of my pet peeves.

Agreed!

We've worked really hard in the last year or two to improve our boy led emphasis and to really use the patrol method, but as you say, some youth leaders need more help than others - depending on the boy, the age, ...

The Scoutmaster works with the SPL & ASPL to help them run the programs (meetings/campouts). During campouts we have a mix of Scout skills, fun Scoutish stuff (games, activities,...), and some free time - usually to explore/enjoy the new area we're visiting. The ASM's help with the skills and Scoutish stuff, as needed.

Mostly during campouts, specific ASM's are assigned to each regular patrol to keep an eye on them and help them as needed. We had tried using mostly youth Troop Guides to help the younger patrols out, but have been finding that the ASM's really need to be nearby/watching/helping too. So far so good. Every activity brings new challenges (back to the main thread theme). We're learning.

Fellow Scouters,

Just from thinking of Eagle90 and SMT224 post of something new chopsticks and flaming marshmallows.

Reminds of a Scout leader from Western Samoa that attended Wood Badge a few years back. On the evening of the participants Campfire program he came out dressed in his lava-lava. If anyone has ever seen the Samoan Fire Dance it is pretty entertaining. You have to see it in person to appreciate it, but there may be a reasonable show on youtube (I havent searched).

Our Samoan Scouting brother (and Wood Badge participant) stole the show that night. That was the funniest (and safest) non-fire Fire Dance Ive ever seen. He came out with a pole and two flashlights lashed at both ends. He clicked the button of the flash lights, as he simulated sticking it into an adjacent (but cold) fire pit. Then proceeded to spin the illuminated torches rapidly around his body. That was really something new!

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

>>The purpose of adult leaders is to mentor and assist where needed, not run their own camping trip and let the boys flounder continually, although occasional floundering can be it's own learning experience too

Chopsticks are wonderful. Once I figured out how to use them!

Finally got proficient went I was stationed in Korea. The secret: eat at places where no forks are available, the food is delicious, and arrive starving...amazing how quick I learned!