Has anyone set up a reciprocal agreement with a municipality?

I'm an Assistant SM with a troop in a small rural town in NE MO. My town's City Administrator is an Eagle Scout and longtime friend of mine. The town has 700 acres of land that is set up as recreational area. There are two large lakes which serve as the city reserviors, a pavilion, a fishing dock, play ground and campsites. The back half of the 700 acres is gated and off limits to private vehicles but is open to hikers and foot traffic.

The City Administrator proposed to me that we set up a reciprocal agreement between the Troop and the City where the troop gets use of the remote acreage for camping, meetings and other Scout related activites in return for service work and a hold harmless agreement.

The city Administrator is pretty busy and asked that I try to find a similar agreement to use as a model. I tried my local District Exec and the also talked to some people at the St. Louis Council with no luck.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks for any help or advice!

Yes, our troop has a lease on property. Get a contract, in writing, get an attorney's advice, and get proper signatures before you invest one dime (or Scout labor for service) on the property. Take it from experience, times and local support change. If you want proof look at all the money spent at A.P. Hill and now we're looking for somewhere else to hold the Jamboree.

I see your point, especially about how times change. There is a "Scout House" currently on the property that was built 50 odd years ago and used until an administration that was less Scout friendly put a stop to it. The house has since fallen in on itself and needs to be removed. One of our potential projects was to build a pavilion on the foundation, which is still good.

THnaks for the reply.

We've been lectured many times by our Scout Executive (and rightly so) that NO ONE except him has the authority to enter into contracts or agreements that might obligate or incur liability for the Council or BSA. That includes accepting donations of cash or goods in the name of the Council or BSA. Tread carefully and don't sign ANYTHING without the expressed consent and approval of the SE and your Chartering Organization.

IT,

Scoutldr is correct. Run everything through the SE.

Who built the original scout house? We have a scout house in our local community park that has been there for close to sixty years. The Rortarians as a WWII memorial, to be used fro only scouting activities. A few times the city has toyed with razing it. But oe of the Rotarians who was very active on the troop commity always shows up with the original documents, reminding the city council of the terms and agreements, and do they really want to tear down a war memorial. So far it has worked for now.

Maybe if you offer to fix up the scout house on the property with donated goods, maybe your friend will let your troop use the property with no strings attached, including no contract. No money out of your pocket, service project or MB requirements knocked off for the boys, maybe a nice Eagle project. Possibly a Win/Win situation.

Good luck.

"We've been lectured many times by our Scout Executive (and rightly so) that NO ONE except him has the authority to enter into contracts or agreements..."

Our lease was signed in 1933, long before the Scout Exec. was around to tell us we can't do it.

I'm not sure of the arrangement, but a town near where I live (Boxford, MA) has a municipal park called "Boy Scout Park":

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=scout+park+boxford&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=11567810982033389553

With a little bit of digging, I'm sure you could find out more about their arrangement.

Guy(This message has been edited by GKlose)