Boy Scouts of America says Jamboree in 2013 is out

Well, of course. No single project of such scale is going to advance without some opposition. Whether it's in the Adirondacks, the Arkansas, or the Appalachians. If BSA is determined to build the Jambo/Training/High Adventure site in Goshen, then they best be ready to listen and adjust and assure. They obviously can't please everyone, but they can strive to accomomdate and assuage the fears of the neighbors. "Full disclosure".

It is just possible that somebody might ask a "what if" question that the BSA folks in drybone Texas hadn't thought about in the damp Blueridge. Yeah, the issues aren't about GLBT things, they are about the impact (good and bad) of the building and operation of a big camp and periodic temporary 5th biggest city in Virginia. That's alot of portapotties. And ground water well draw. And transportation gridlock. And trees cut down. And dam safety. And asphalt laying. Ad nauseum.

I have a park near my home that is a "conservation area". It has been proposed to develope a "small" area into ball diamonds and soccer fields. Oh, boy, the activists (me among them) got up on our hind legs and went to the meetings. So far, the baseballers play elsewhere and us hikers hike here. It's the (thankfully) American way.

Sound like this issue is surmountable.

Since major population occurs only rarely, there should not be a long term impact if national plans like it should. That area has plenty of water and we can run tankers in to supplement. Yes, a lot of portable toilets, but again we can bring them in. Nothing we are not doing at AP Hill. Traffic is another issue. I presume the roads can handle it but if not does National have a plan? Dare I assume that was looked at before the site was chosen?

Evacuation? OK, we can develop a plan.

If the local politicians are on our side (should be, else they would not have bid), seems we can get on track for 2013.

Frankly for our troop the bigger issue is the cost of attendance. Going through local council as mandated runs thousands $$ per scout. We can run a high adventure in spring to the Rockies (ski and winter camp) and a second high adventure in summer (canoe Minnesota or hike the AT) and come in for a third of what our council wants for Jamboree for the two high adventures combined. Our scouts didnt hesitate for a minute but went for the high adventures.

Gern,

As I recall, it was the US Army, in the person of the Secretary of the Army, who stated that due to ongoing military operations, military resources to support the Jamboree at AP Hill would not be available after 2009.

That was in an Administration friendly to the Aims of BSA.

The large scale of the NatJam is one of it's attractions. But, a point well taken. Perhaps we could take a suggestion from Scouts Canada, which have more regional Jamborees. The eastern one is 5 August in Camp Samac, NE of Toronto.

See www.ccjam09.com

From what hear about property values in Detroit, BSA could buy the whole city, tear it down and build the jambo site there. Lots of highways so there is no problem with evacuation and the neighbors (Windsor,Ontario) would probably consider it an improvement.

Better use than letting the Chinese buy it all.

Hey, Hal, What a comment that would make about BSA's commitment to Urban Scouting. And minority outreach. What was that discussion awhile ago about our newest Chief Executive's view on what Scouts are interested in?

I have a place for you all to think about. I understand that Guantanamo Bay is going to be empty in the future. Ah yes........ just think. Nice weather, the ocean, big landing strips, plenty of housing too. What a paradise this would be. The only people that you would have to talk about would be the cubans. I bet we could get it cheap too. I can see it now..............