Cell Phone Policy Contradicts Family Policy

I still have an acoustic coupler and a 300 baud modem

I remember those - Dad had one, he used with a terminal to connect to the mainframe at work. Sometimes he would let us play Adventure, Rogue, and Wumpus on it.

and an old computer with a serial port...

I have a relatively new computer with a serial port. I need it to talk to my TI86 and to my Garmin.

-=-

Oh, with respect to cell phones, I think they should be allowed but turned off unless there is an emergency. Sure, I grew up fine without one, but there were phone booths here and there and mom made me carry a dime. Phone booths are currently a candidate for the endangered species list, and the ones that are left - some of them now don't even accept coins anymore, they are credit/calling card only. The unfortunate reality is that a cell phone is a necessary safety tool.

When I go hiking, I carry two. One is primary and one in a zip log bag in case I fall in a river damaging the primary.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Technology is great. Over the past few years coverage has improved to the point that we have cell phone service just about everywhere at camp. So phones have become reliable for emergency communications. Our SPL can tweet or text-blast everyone in the troop so we no longer have to rely on bugle calls or the really crappy PA system the camp used to use.

The I-pad star gazer app is incredible. It even shows you stars visible from the other side of the planet or those obscured by the glare of the sun, so no more laying in the wet grass with your buddies listening to some old geezer drone on and on about constellations or the mythology behind them.

And let's face it -- campfire skits suck. It's the same thing over and over, most kids mumble or talk to their shoes. There's no way that can compete with a real good movie. And with BluRay....

And music? Have you listened to these kids sing? T-U-N-I-N-G!!! Why listen to the catawailing when I can listen to the music I want any time I like. I've got a great set of Bose noise-cancelling ear plugs which serve the added purpose of blocking out all these yacking kid and that love-sick whip-o-will that goes on all night. Isn't this the summer for the periodic cicadas? Lord, that will be a racket.

A couple families in the troop have really nice fifth wheel campers, so we're pulling the up to camp too. AC, hot showers, memory foam mattresses, X-box, you name it. I don't care if I ever sleep in a wall tent again.

Look, the whole program is a contrivance. Nearly all these kids have decent, dry, warm in the winter/cool in the summer homes with indoor plumbing. There is a purpose behind taking them out of those homes, ploping them down in the woods with six or eight other guys and telling them to make due. I don't think that purpose needs to be restated here.

I don't buy the argument that mobile communication has become part of these boys' culture. Air conditioning flush toilets has been a part of my culture longer than cell phones have been in theirs. And I can make a pretty good argument that AC and sanitary sewer is more of a health and safety issue than universal 911 service.

If I can give hot showers, indoor plumbing and my Sealy Posturpedic for a week, kids can give up cell phones. If technology is so all-pervasive in your life, stay home!