Cell Phone Policy Contradicts Family Policy

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a bit of a highjack but since the topic is at least in part about family rules vs. troop rules I think the following article from "News of the Weird" is appropriate.

http://www.newsoftheweird.com/archive/nw090510.html

Of course I am talking about the first piece, the one about "consensual living" as a parenting philosophy. I just can't wait 'til these kids get to scouts. I think some may be among us already.

"If Kahlan, 18 months old, of Nanaimo, British Columbia, is grumpy at a time when her mother has made plans, Mom says she is obligated to consider other plans." (From that news of the weird article)

I'm speechless. The very concept eludes my understanding. OK, I'll admit it, I tried to read this out loud to somebody and started laughing almost to the point where I started crying. This is absurd.

Thanks, Hal. I needed a good laugh. Unfortunately, there do seem to be parents who take this seriously - none of them have kids in our troop (hmm, wonder why that would be?) but I think I may have run into them at NYLT.

Vicki

On the other hand, if the kid really wants to wear the Halloween cat costume every day for 6 months straight, who cares? It's not harming anyone. I doubt there is a Scouter who would seriously object if a Cub Scout or Boy Scout wanted to wear their full uniform every day for 6 months straight.

""If Kahlan, 18 months old, of Nanaimo, British Columbia, is grumpy at a time when her mother has made plans, Mom says she is obligated to consider other plans." (From that news of the weird article)

I'm speechless. The very concept eludes my understanding. OK, I'll admit it, I tried to read this out loud to somebody and started laughing almost to the point where I started crying. This is absurd."

On the other hand:

If your plans include bringing your grumpy 18-month old to the same movie I'm planning on seeing, or to the restaurant I'm planning on eating at, then please - I beg you - consider other plans. In fact, I more than beg you - I demand it of you. Stay Home!

In other words, the above, though apparently absurd, is really quite considerate of every one else that shares this planet too - so perhaps we should be encouraging this kind of thinking, and getting away from the spoiled brat thinking of many modern day parents that their kids are special and society's niceties don't apply to them.

Calico, I take your point and I agree, and there were times when I didn't do something as planned because the kid hadn't gotten his full nap for some reason. I have sat in restaurants at 9:00 pm with screaming tired kids and wondered what their parents were thinking. But that's not how the article is framed.

Vicki

Heck, there've been plenty of times when I didn't do something I had planned...because I hadn't had MY nap. I bet that's true for others on this forum. And plenty of times sitting at a restaurant wishing those drunks at another table weren't so loud.

it takes a village -- or a troop -- to raise a child. Too many parents are too incompetent to be the final arbiter no matter how many degrees they may have. Self reliance is about figuring things out for yourself, and working it out yourself. Having an electronic tether constantly available precludes this.

Cells are disruptive. I've seen too many instances where the SM, or even a guest, is trying to explain/teach something and a Scout leaves the room to answer his phone. When he returns either what he missed has to be repeated -- thereby disrespecting everyone else by wasting their time -- or the Scout puts others at risk because of what he missed. And, if the phone is not on silent when it rings, that's really rude. As I understand you, your son called home for a ride from a regularly attended troop meeting? This, in itself, shows lack of planning and lack of self reliance.

On the other hand, if you wish your son to grow up to question authority -- as did our colonial forefathers in 1775 -- then RIGHT ON!

Tombitt: Welcome to the campfire! I think we did Wilderness Survival together back at Bob Garland with the live chickens! I earned it around 79/80 I think.

As you can see from our virtual campfire, we have some strong opinions here (and some who need to re-read the Scout Oath and Law to check to see if they are following it in everyday life).

In our Troop where I am Scoutmaster, Cell phones are welcome - but they are to be turned off. Here in Southern California there is plenty of reception at many of our sites. The rule is that a boy can pull out his phone in emergencies. If I see a boy using one, I ask him about it. I have never had a problem. I personally posted photos of my son hiking in the mountains to my facebook site using my iPhone. I used the everytrail iPhone App to track our GPS coordinates and to track a hike. Cell phones ARE a tool, and can be very useful. When we held a Troop Mobilization for Emergency Prep, it was cell phones that were used to contact people. When we leave from a campsite, the Scouts pass around phones in the cars to give their parents updates on when to pick up at the Church. Finally, when a Scout is one of the last to be picked up at a meeting - the first question is to see if the Scout has called. With dual working, divorced, and non-traditional parenting a follow-up call means that the Scoutmaster does not have to stand around for another 30 minutes waiting.

Teaching Scouts the PROPER way to use and carry a cell phone is a good skill for them to have, IMHO. Perhaps then they can learn NOT to be the one who texts in my university classroom when they go off to school.

That said - your SM has laid down a rule, and good for you for trying to understand the other side of the story by coming here. Best of luck to you in your future discussions.

-Horizon, a Birkenstock wearing (though not in camp due to open toes), concealed permit holding, electronics using Scoutmaster.

cell phones non issue in our Troop, we allow them, kids respect them, and a couple of times it came in handy that a boy had one when the s/m cell died, & as/m forgot his. An emergency from home was taken care of. Also we are very fortunate that in this day and age, to have boys 16-18 still active in scouting, with all that they have going on in their lives, that a little perk like a cell phone, so they can call girlfriend after lights out, not a big deal.

Marykelly, welcome to the forums. Like I mention to all the unit members, boys and adults, who fall into the category of your SM and ASM, I have a personal saying that I think applies and I'll repeat it here....

"'Be Prepared', I always say. H'mmm, you know that would be a GREAT motto for a youth organization. Wow, what a great idea! Be Prepared!"

I repeat this every opportunity they give me and I thoroughly enjoy it as they roll their eyes....they try hard to be prepared just to keep from hearing me say it, one - more - time, LOL. And try hard to catch me on something so they can say it to me. Needless to say, everyone knows the motto really well. ;)

Horizon - absolutely it was Camp Garland! I thought they switched to ground beef right after our experience (1974-1976 range).

Opinions are good. This forum has been helpful for me to understand how polarizing this issue is, needless to say.

I am completely in sync with your views. I also agree that my son needs to abide by the troop policy, but he may be one of the few who are actually going to do that. You see, the scouts are mostly carrying phones, and hiding them out of sight of the leaders. I saw this firsthand at a scouting event a few weekends ago - and from what I saw, scouts were mainly using them to take pics and find each other across the site (which wasn't in the deep, dark woods - it was in a county fairgrounds on the east coast).

Regardless, it's not my concern whether/how the policy is enforced, and I'm done on this topic. I've shared my views with the SM, in response to his request to discuss the issue. Up to him, now. It is clear to me there is a huge disparity across troops on how this issue is handled. It's encouraging to me that this forum exists to share experiences. It's discouraging that most opinions are fixed in concrete.

It's also up to my son if he wants to pursue it with the PLC (most of whom carry and use phones during scouting events).

Good to "meet" you, Horizon! I'd love to go back and see Garland again someday.

Tom

I issue a cell phone chip...just like a Toten' Chip...it comes with rules. Violate the rules, lose a corner, lose all corners lose the phone FOREVER. I don't issue one to first year scouts until they can prove they won't get homesick. Works great. I don't care what the parents want. They can follow my rules, accompany their son on outings or go find another troop. Send me an email to coldan36@gmail.com if you want the template and I'll send it to you.