• 2 years later...

When you get your new flag (sounds like a new Troop?) , have a little cermony with /in/ for your CO. Make the boys aware of the history they are beginning. Take the halyard strip of the flag and have the new SM and IH sign it, perhaps. Date it, in indelible ink (does India ink mean the same nowaday?) .

Our Troop recently replaced the old flag. It was the "original" , made with a wool/cotton blend, I think. We had a small ceremony at a CoH to mark the renewal, the flag was more than 50 years old at that point. We had a few old timers present and were able to make that connection to the past history of the Troop.

I recently ordered one from National Supply using this form:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/media/content/docs/pdfs/Flag_Order_Form.pdf

Customer service was helpful and the flag arrived in about 4 weeks. I believe if you order the flag through your local Scout Shop, you do not pay for shipping (but I could be mistaken).

Don't forget to order the flag pole and flag topper (if you need them). Same for the flag stand. Also - flag storage bag.

Flag pole: an old closet pole of suitable length. Topper: Carved tree branch knee. Flag stand: 1948 Chevy truck brake drum, welded pipe (donated welding), green paint from leftover gallon from cellar door project. Still in use, lo these many years.

By the way, a couple of years ago, in one of the "Scout Stuff" catalogs that was mailed out, there was a page that described a "small format" troop flag. I think it is around 16"x24". Had a small problem ordering it through the local Scout Shop -- they didn't know it existed, but were convinced after seeing the catalog.

Anyway, we ordered one, and it goes on every outing with us now. We bought a small American Flag too that matches the size. The strangest part about that: try and find a similar American Flag that isn't made in China.

Guy