I just recieved an email from Scout Stuff and they are advertising to "save big" on the Fieldbook. Now $9.88 instead of $19.99. Is there a new edition coming out, I know there is a new Handbook due out by the end of the summer.

I believe they try to update each MB booklet every 5 years (on a rotating basis) so it would make sense to update a 5 year old Fieldbook. My son had a joke published in Boy's Life and received a free copy of the Fieldbook. And, of course, he got a patch. :-)

Maybe somewhat off on a tangent, but can somebody explain to me why the bulk of the material in the FB isn't just in the HB to start with? I had thought the point of the HB was to give all the boys a great reference source for how to do scout stuff. Instead, it is fairly superficial, with a lot of the cool details in the FB (which, around here anyway, few people purchase - everybody just buys the HB)

The purpose of the HB is to give the basic information, enough to whet their appetities on the outdoors and meet advancement. The Fieldbook was to be strictly for the outdoors.

I have mixed emotions on the Fieldbook. Lots of great info, but it is pricey. I lucked out in that I got a 2nd ed. before I became a CS ( Eagle Cousin was finsihed with it and wanted to pique my interest along with his HB) and wifey got the current one form a book sale.

Regarding editions of the Fieldbook.

There have been four so far.

First came out in 50s

Second came out in 1967. This is the one I grew up with.

Third came out in 1984.

Fourth came out in 2004.

Most people believe the first edition was the best, with the second a close second. I have all 3, and find the first 2 better.

Yes, the first edition, the old dirt brown cover, is definitely the best. Minor correction; the first edition was in 1944, with subsequent printings almost every year from there on. The earliest has a pebbled type surface and a copyright date of 1944. There is a second printing in 1944 that does not have the pebbled surface. Also was a public copy of the 3rd edition that was sold in bookstores. Would like to see that happen again. I still look for copies of the first issue to give to assistants and friends, as I do with the classic Rockwell Scoutmaster HB. Also look for BSHB's from adult youth periods for thank yous. Many have lost their original books, and it seems appreciated.

I agree that it is an underused resource. Most boys in our Troop don't own it and like looking through it when I bring mine out. I would like to encourage some of our boys to get a copy on sale but if a new edition is about to come out, some parents might not appreciate my suggestion.

Right now on eBay there are 8 copies being offered, including one 1944 edition for $12 and "buy it now". 7 of the 8 are the first edition, various printings. Suspect the offerings will continue as people clean out garages, attics, and basements, along with houses of parents who have passed away or are downsizing.

Take a look.