CNYScouter commented

"We actually were in talks with Disney/Pixar about having an active promotional role with UP!, and the branding/marketing team at Disney was really excited. That it at least, until it went up their flag pole and reached the legal department, at which point it got declined due to our membership/leadership policies."

I thought the problem was BSA Legal being a licensing PITA. Got me wondering why Hollywood doesn't outsource Boy Scouts from another scouting organization. But "Boy Scouts" negatively impacting sales, I am stunned.

So Disney, the studio that produced "Follow Me Boys" back in 60's, now feels "Forget You Boys", that the BSA brand because of its membership/leadership policies would negatively impact the financial success of a Disney family movie. Are they right? Is Disney more in tune with current American values?

A quick comment regarding Saving Private Ryan (and for that matter Top Gun)...

DOD has an office for technical consultation in Hollywood. Producers can go to it to request assistance. The assistance provided can range from location support to "boots on the ground." As others have said, the key issue for support is "favorable appearance". Who is going to support a producer who will slam them?

• 2 weeks later...

BSA will pass on portrayals in film, video etc. to make sure Scouting is not shown in a negative way. They enforce it with threat of copyright infringement if they cannot get the degree of image control they require. I personally have some mixed emotions here but overall, I am thankful Scouting is protected from those who do not understand and could abuse the portrayal.

It is readily apparent that even when "Hollywood" has the best of intensions, they will sacrifice accuracy and image for the story they wish to portray. I would trust Spielberg to do it correctly with real advisors on board; but few others would.

Remember, we have many Scouters who ban the showing of "Follow Me Boys" because of all the rule violations evident in the movie such as only one leader etc. These folks evidently believe boys are not intelligent enough to understand, someone prior to viewing, explaining, "The film was made long ago and rules and society have changed, so enjoy the movie with that in mind."

I think we are due for a new Scouting movie that gets it all correctly portrayed AND inspires boys! (Hmmmm, maybe I write a book!)

Cheers,

Ol' Thunder Fox

Did anyone else noticed several Boy Scout commercials running in their local market over the last week or so? Did National finally listen to its volunteers who've long been asking for a national marketing campaign?

I remember reading that Speilberg helped with the Cinematography MB.

As for Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford was listed as being a scout and writing the Reptile Study MB

If you want to go with the negative portrayals, how about the movie "the Last Boy Scout" I thought someone would have brought up the Motto and stuff being used there by now.

Surprisingly, the series South Park, which in general is just a steaming pile of garbage, has had several Cub Scout-themed episodes with reasonably fair and accurate (but highly exaggerated) renditions of Cub Scout uniforms, events, leaders, and boys.

In the up coming Pixar movie "UP" the young boy is clearly a pseudo cub scout. I am sure he will have his moments of cleverness and mistakes and exaggerated portrayals. Not unlike any Saturday night skit at a campfire program.

Also George Lopez is a scout leader in something like "Mr Troop Mom". I am sure its a mix camp adventure yarn that one could easily predict the plot. The big heated dad is roped into doing things he is completely unfamiliar with to help his child grow all while serving youths. No doubt similar to anyone's first year as a youth leader.

My movie moment, is a late 1970's James Bond movie that takes place in Vegas. The Mach 1 Mustang runs down an alley and uses a loading ramp to pivot the car up on the two right wheels. When the car emerges from the narrow alley, escaping the bad guys, the car is up on its two left wheels.