SM Award of Merit, ASM question.

kahits, what GWD said. Unfortunately, unlike the Cub Scout level, there aren't a lot of adult awards for Boy Scout Troop Volunteers. I find it annoying. There should be something to recognize the adult leaders in your troop other than the training award. For example, the white square knot used for the SM Award of Merit started as a regional award for newer leaders and was called the "Why Knot":

http://www.mninter.net/~blkeagle/cnclknot.htm

Why "knot" offer something similar for ASMs and committee members?

Anyway, enough ranting. There is one thing out there that you could use. Has this ASM been active at least five years in scouting (you can count time as a youth it they were a scout). If so, you can at least recognize them with the Scouter Veteran Award. Just search for it on the net. I had several hits for the application form such as:

http://www.gpc-bsa.org/FormsLinks/stuff/VeteranAppl.pdf

There is both a recognition card (milestones such as 25 years have a certificate), and a civilian wear pin.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

Don't forget the district award of merit; most districts also have recognition awards and certificates at all levels, they just do not have a square knot.

It has always seemed to me that cubbing has too many of them, though I know they serve a purpose. At one time, all volunteers were pretty much on the same level, and the few awards just used devices to distinguish them. In some ways, it would be good to revert back, but realistically it could not happen without real confusion and even upset people.

Find a way, if only on the troop level. I have given old skill awards to leaders for camping contributions, and one got an old camping meritbadge on a magnet.

In referenmce to the troop level awards, my old troop gave out the 'Red Jacket Award" It was basically the red BSA nylon jacket, withe the troop logo patc instead of the universal emblem. It was given to dedicated scouters in the troop. Wish I could find mine, but I have a feeling it was left behind with my mom and destroyed in Katrina.

The training award might be an option, but he did all of his SM training back in 95, and I don't know how much of the listed training existed back then. Since I was the unit leader, he didn't need to do much more then youth protection, which he did. I guess the first two can be done, online, correct?

1. Complete Boy Scout Fast Start training

2. Complete New Leader Essentials

3. Complete Leader Specific Training for your position

4. Complete Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills (for Scoutmasters and assistants)

5. Complete Youth Protection Training

• 2 weeks later...

As Scoutmaster having served for many years, I have been blessed with many exceptional fellow volunteers who made me look good. One in particular was Robert (Bob) Helm. Bob was an Eagle Scout who came to the troop when his son crossed over. Bob was 6'-5" tall and was so skinny he had to run around in a shower to get wet. He was mostly bald, had a beard and a permanent smile. His picture should be in the Scout Handbook next to Cheerful except that it would have to be next to nearly every other positive attribute in the same book. One of many of the fabulous things about Bob was his whole heartedly joining in on one of the training methods we like to use in our troop, Role Play. Bob would be the perfect timid "Timmy Tenderfoot" and after the boys literally rolled on the floor holding their sides watching him, they never forgot the lesson he brought them.

Bob passed away from cancer and left a hole in the world. In his honor I funded The Robert Helm Memorial Award in our district. It is given only to Unit level Scouters (SM's not eligible) whose service makes significant contributions to the success of their own units and also gives service to the district.

Many Scouts have richer lives from knowing Bob, I know mine is. Bob rests along the west fence of a cemetery on the east side of our local Scout camp and the boys started referring to camping there as "visiting Mr. Helm", in my heart I do too.

Bottom Line is, our district added several "missing awards" for deserving service to the youth of our district. There is a similar award for Cub Scout unit Leaders among them.