Fellow Scouters,

Just to clarify, Though predominately earned via the Troop, the Eagle Scout Rank can be earned in a Troop, Team, Ship or Crew. Or even as a Lone Scout.

For this scenario, how the rank application was routed may be questionable.

Did this specific Scout/Venture route the Service Project thru the Troop or Crew? (or for any others maybe event Team, Ship, or directly to council) And whom did he ask to assist on his project.

I believe he should have "followed suit" with the original signatures of the previous Service Project Worksheet.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21_Adv

"If the action occurs again, the Scout is given a written warning. This is given to the Scout and he is given the option of keeping it to himself or in sharing it with his parents."

Huh??

There is no option of weather or not to "share" this with his parents. BSA specifically states that parents should be involved, and should help deal with behavior issues.

"I get an accidental email tnat the Venturing Crew was meeting for their start up. Checked it out, and this SMA has took it upon himself to start the Venturers himself."

Not sure how an email can be "accidental". Also, a new BSA chartered unit is not something that can simply spring up overnight, with no notice whatever. Your DE has to be involved, adults and youth have to be registered, an organization has to sign a charter, a committee has to be formed, etc. You are telling us that you had no knowledge of any of this taking place when the Crew members are coming from your Troop? If it is your Troop's Charter Org who is chartering the Crew, why is it that the IH, or at least the COR, never mentioned this to you?

"we had some boys get a little out of hand wrestling and it was witnessed by a Webelo parent that some sexual inuendos was done. .... This SMA knew what I had done, had verbally agreed with what was done and all seemed well. The next week I get a call from the Counsel office wanting the write up. He had gone to them concerned that it was not taken care of?"

You also stated - "This particular Scout had been warned more than once about wrestling with the guys (especially the younger ones) and had already gone through the first step."

In my opinion the "sexual innuendos" part is the most disturbing, especially because this has happened numerous times before.

BSA states as part of their Youth Protection training and also in the Guide to Safe Scouting - "The unit should inform the Scout executive about all incidents that result in a physical injury or involve allegations of sexual misconduct by a youth member with another youth member."

Granted, this man should not have gone behind your back. However - Perhaps this man was concerned that since this behavior had happened before nothing he stated to you at the time would make a difference. Perhaps this man was simply concerned enough about this young mans behavior that he decided to follow BSA's YP rules and contact the council.

A Venturer, earning his Eagle thru his Crew, does not need the approval of, or signatures from, any member of a Boy Scout Troop. As his SM, while it might have been nice of him to let you know he was working thru his Crew, it was not required.

It sounds like you and this SA have some major personality issues working together. Perhaps it would be best for everyone to talk to him, your COR, and IH about having his registration switched to only the Crew.

Thanks for listening..... First I understand the importance of keeping the family involved and they almost always are. This is an exception in that it is a chance for the young man to correct things in a mature method on his own and is treated as a learning/teaching experience. It is my hope that the young man will go to his parents, but again..... this is a way of giving the responsibilty of his actions back to him!

As far as the "accidental email", it was from a source that thought I should be aware of the situation. I had heard rumors prior to this but that was all. The SMA went through the channels. I do not begrudge the fact that we now have a Venture Crew, I just did not like the way it was done.

The "sexual" thing was a first! According to other witnesses (adult and kids alike), it was a careless grab in the wrong area. The warning was for the fact that he continued the wrestling even after been warned more than once. If I had even an inkling that it was a sexual overture, I would have been at the Scout office myself!

As far as the Venturing and the Eagle Rank..... it's not a huge deal. Again, it is just another thing that has me aggravated about this particular person. And the personality issue is not just me..... and I definetly agree we have one.... but it is among others in the troop also. It will take care of itself in time. I just wanted info and feedback from others outside of our troop. As of September, I am turning in my resignation as SM..... the politics win again.

BSA states as part of their Youth Protection training and also in the Guide to Safe Scouting - "The unit should inform the Scout executive about all incidents that result in a physical injury or involve allegations of sexual misconduct by a youth member with another youth member.

Yah, da "physical injury" thing should be a tip-off here, eh?

This policy means that yeh should inform the scout executive about serious issues that may involve legal entanglements or trigger insurance coverage, eh?

It doesn't mean that yeh should inform da SE about every kid wrestling match where there's an inadvertent knee to the groin, or one lad calls another lad "gay" or some other innuendo. That's ordinary youth (mis)behavior that any competent adult should be able to handle.

I continue to be amazed by the scouters who feel the need to "run to daddy" whenever such ordinary youth or adult behavior issues crop up. Whether "daddy" is da SE or some policy document or zero-tolerance position.

Beavah

Has it occurred to any of you that this guy may be mentally ill? It may be undiagnosed, but the descriptions may indicate schizophrenia, bipolar or adult ADD. He may have no intention of offending the SM whatsoever; he just follows his impulses