Keeping Ice Cream frozen overnight

I would think the ball thing would work great! My daughter just made ice cream in a bag with some of her therapy kids as a special treat. She used 1/2 c chocolate milk, a little sugar (said she probably should have left it out) and 1/2 tsp vanilla for each serving. Sealed in quart freezer bag and then ice and salt in gallon ziplock. She said the only problem she had was that their hands were so cold. If a 3 and 5 year old can do it, then any of our scouts should be able to. I have also seen suggestions to do in coffee can. Small can/container inside coffee can, then play kick the can for 15-30 minutes.

actually in keeping stuff frozen, has anybody used the newer super 5 day coolers? I love mine. I kept ice at the beach in SC in July for three days with practically no melt down. The other coolers melted down by half within 24 hours.

If using dry ice, I wouldn't use too much. At my Woodbadge course, my patrol made ice cream on site for the feast. We had requested dry ice from the quartermaster. and used it in the cooler to keep the ice cream. When it came time to serve it, you couldn't chop it with an axe. We had to clean a saw REALLY well and saw it into portions.

History lesson:

Dateline: Sandy Spring, MD. 1803. Local inventor Thomas Moore patents a "Refrigerator" (his coining of the word). He uses it to carry butter from his farm to Washington DC without spoilage. It consists of concentric cedar boxes (the butter being in the inner most cedar box) and packed in ice (cut last winter and kept in a buried insulated covered pit until needed), insulated with rabbit fir and enclosed in a final box of tin. Today, this would be called an "ice box".

I say crank it out...the effort makes the treat that much more enjoyed.

make it - much easier... here's the recipe we used at one of our unit events - each girl made her own to add to the cobbler that the oldest girls made.

Ice Cream

2 tablespoons sugar

1 cup half and half

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup salt (The bigger the granules, the better. Kosher or rock salt works best, but table salt is fine.)

Ice cubes (enough to fill each gallon-size bag about half full)

1 pint-size ziplock bag

1 gallon-size ziplock bag

1. Combine the sugar, half and half, and vanilla extract in the pint-size bag and seal it tightly.

2. Place the salt and ice in the gallon-size bag, then place the sealed smaller bag inside as well. Seal the larger bag. Now shake the bags until the mixture hardens (about 5 minutes). Feel the small bag to determine when it's done.

3. Take the smaller bag out of the larger one, add mix-ins, and eat the ice cream right out of the bag. Easy cleanup too! Serves 1.

"REI has a nifty ice cream maker for camping use - its a tetrahedron ball design - fill it up with the ingredients, roll it around and in about 20 minutes - fresh ice cream"

Minor hijack, tetrahedron's are 4 equilateral triangles that meet at 4 vertexes (kind of like a 3 sided pyramid)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetrahedron

The ice cream ball is not really any regular geometric shape, except a rib reinforced sphere.

Back to topic, Dry ice or deep frozen salt water (freezes lower than 32 degrees) in a decent cooler will keep the ice cream cold enough, although as pointed out, it is more fun to make the ice cream.

If this is a Girl Scout camp, just take your Ice cream out of the cooler, take it into the air conditioned cabin and put it in the freezer...should be right next to the computer and TV. Problem solved.