EOY Scout Day/ campfire ideas for our church

Our Scout leaders and sponsoring church have decided to have an EOY Scout Day/ campfire to celebrate the past year...this is open to the public and to give back to our CO. We are thinking of our Crew running field games for the pack, maybe a catapult competition for the troop... with supper cooked by the Scout leaders for all later in the day followed by a campfire / ceremony at the bottom of the hill back of our Family life center. Ideas we have for ceremony are songs, skits, advancement, thanks yous and a flag retirement ceremony...this would be the final pack meeting before summer FYI...

Any good ideas for the day or the campfire?

Have you asked the PLC for their input?

Let's start with making sure the kids have bought in and are available, rather than declaring it by fiat.

What resources can your church provide? Pool (aquatic games), ranges (shooting sports), ???

I'd start with those two questions: Youth and resource availability...

I had a couple of toaster pastries for breakfast, Pillsbury must have forgot to add any smart juice.

I don't know what a EOY Scout Day is?

When planning an event (Any event) Some people try and do too much and cover too much. This is a mistake! Always leave them wanting more.

Have a plan written down on paper. Make sure that everyone involved knows what they are doing and when they are supposed to do it.

Avoid things that can go wrong or not work.

For a camp fire build your fire around what you want to do.

Having the right size fire can add to the ceremony.

Remind the adults that this is not their talent show and try to keep them on the sidelines.

Have the youth involved practice what they are going to do and try to get them to be loud enough that everyone can hear what they are saying or singing.

An inspirational story which ties in with something local is a good idea.

Always but always finish with Scout Vespers and if possible have someone play taps.

If the camp fire goes on much longer than an hour you run the risk of losing everyones attention.

What the heck is a EOY??

Ea.

You stated this will be open to the public.

If so, why have activities that are only for scouts? Is the public supposed to just walk around and look? That does not sound like a lot of fun for non-Scouts! It sure would not get me out there.

I would include activities that EVERYONE, can have fun doing. This means that you need activities for all ages and skill levels.