• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never needed a digital meat thermometer - how hot do you cook your digital meat???

About the phones. I can't stand mine - but my son uses one several times a day at camp. Each area has a walkie-talkie, and, in addition, most boys have a phone. It allows for private conversations.

And, it allowed him to hear his little sister sing the other night. He was probably more indifferent than he let on, but it meant the world to her.

That being said. Allowing your phone to change the course of the activity you are in is rude (unless it is an emergency) That has nothing to do with camp and everything to do with manners.

I was talking to the scouts one time about 'no electronics on campouts' and one of my scouts pointed out that my GPS was an electronic device.

Hard to enforce a rule that you yourself are breaking. I don't like the 'do as I say, not as I do' concept.

That being said, I'm not going to tell 'em its ok to start bringing cell phones, I'll wait for the PLC to bring it up and we'll discuss it then...

I am going to be in camp this next week, and I suspect that after I've been there, the camp will want to relax their "no electronics" policy due to me asking, several times a day, "do you know the score of last night's Red Sox game?"

After all, there's a pennant race heating up. :-)

Guy

Oh and the trek safety video has a JASM pulling out his cell phone that he has in his technology pocket in case of emergency. I guess that would be BSA's stamp of approval. Ed you can have your thermometer now.