This is my first post. It's great to know that we leaders can not only get information from others in our local areas but pretty much wherever one is listening and is willing to respond.

For those of you who believe that BSA has not put out an official policy on electronic devices, I might refer you to the new uniforms that the BSA has given us. In the left pocket is a hole for a little wire to go thru the back of the uniform and into the ear of our little scouts. I'm not saying that you have to allow or disallow electronics, but I think teaching them the right way is better than outlawing them. Boys will be boys and will look for ways to skirt the law.

JMO.

Again I appreciate the new technology that we are using today to have roundtable discussions from various points of view.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to be the newbie that starts trouble. I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. The point was that there is a small hole in the sleeve. I've been told be other scouters that the hole is for the wire coming out of whatever electronic equipment that they have on them. It was my personal observation that if BSA didn't want the hole there, it wouldn't be there.

From there on, it is up to each troop or SM how they want to handle the situation. But my point is, that BSA is accepting of electonic devices as long as they are used properly. Each of us and our troops adapt policies in different ways.

Some will say. "NO NEVER NO."

Some will say. "Please leave them at home."

Some will say. "Teach them the right way."

And some will be completely oblivious to the whole situation. And hope the scouts will use them the right way.

It is up to your discretion on how to handle each person saying the above. Do I think there needs to be a national policy on a local situation? NOPE. But each leader no matter what the choice is had better BE PREPARED for the reprecussions that each have. I just got back in after being away for 20 years. My how some things have changed. Some definitely for the better. Some not so. It's been an eye opening experience in the 6 months that I've been back. I'm sorry it took me so long to come back.

To think the inclusion of a "technology pocket" was part of a well-thought-out policy shift by national to incorporate technology into the program is a stretch. More likely some marketing guy in the supply division.

Like many other things folks would like to dictate, I'll wait for an actual policy statement instead of reading tea leaves on uniform tags. Until then, how this is handled is at the discretion of the unit.

NancyB, there is a fundamental flaw in your reasoning about a cell phone being a safety thing because you had to wait for 6 hours to find out about your son.

Your not knowing was undoubtedly a horrible experience - more than I can imagine. However, your knowing sooner would not have had anything to do with whether he was safe or not. You were really only concerned about your own comfort and peace of mind.

I'm glad he was OK.

More parents need to let go and let their sons grow up without being constantly tethered. Isn't that part of what scouting is all about?

At a Cub Scout resident camp last week, one mom had her phone ringing at least 1x an hour. We'd be on a hike and it would go off, she would walk along giving a play by play on what we were doing.. chattering away.

Then she and her son would chat on the phone at night in their tent for 30+ minutes... to dad... to grandma... to his sister...

The camp master finally told her that she could use it for emergencies, and also for 10 minutes after dinner, just outside the dinning hall.