• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see asking adults to put their phone away during the campout (or set to vibrate in a pocket) so they are not a distraction to the activities, but not bring them? I was on a campout where a Scout was injured, and we really needed a cell phone. Three leaders, all with different cell phone companies, and only one got a signal.

Why would you want adults not to have a cell phone?

Depends on the situation. Some of my fellow leaders work jobs for the military where they are required to be available 24/7 for phone calls. If they were given such an edict, they would just have to stay home. That being said, the phone calls are few and far between (like maybe once per weekend), and they usually walk off away from the group to handle business, then come back. On the other hand, if an adult were constantly calling spouse or SO "just to check in", or texting or receiving calls of a non-emergency nature, I would feel compelled to say something. When I go into the woods with my scouts, part of the benefit to me is to get away from civilization. Yes, I take my cell, but it stays in the truck or in my pack, turned off unless I need to use it for an emergency.

I can see a SM asking adults to not have the Cell phones out in use (for non-essential use) at an outing. A good example for Scouts if that is the Troop policy.

But I don't think he would want to tell them not to bring them.

I agree with scoutldr. I think we should be able to trust our fellow adult leaders to use cell phones judiciously. This could be reinforced by having a friendly chat about what the troop policy should be and coming to a common understanding. But some of us do need them more than others. (one of our leaders was a medical doctor and another works for EMS)

A long time ago, my provider was the only one in the troop that had a signal during one of the outings. Luckily, I was able to notify the troop of a family emergency for one of the boys and we were able to pack back out effectively.

Now if you're going to discuss cell phones that the boys have, that's another thing.

If an adult needs to be that attached at the ear to their cell phone to be checking in every 5 minutes or texting every 5 minutes then in my opinion that adult is a very busy person and should have the where-withall not to go on the trip. The SM should not need to even bring this subject up. Our troop went on a 50-miler canoe trip on the Buffalo River last summer and I can guarantee that every adult brought their cell phone but not all of them were able to get a signal.

The Scoutmaster is not the boss of the troop, nor of the adults for tht matter. If the scoutmaster were to tell me that I couldnt bring a cell phone, I would politely tell him that if I felt it necessary, I would have one with me.

there has to be a backstory to this that I would like to hear.(This message has been edited by oldgreyeagle)

The SM isn't the boss of the Troop, but he is the boss of the program. I can't imagine an instance where I would ask adults to leave their phones at home, but maybe there is one. As OGE states, there must be a story here.

Change the electronic device in the story and see if that affects your answer. Can the SM tell an adult not to bring a battery-powered portable tv? or radio? or laptop (for either work or watching DVDs)? If I'm SM and any of those are disrupting the program, I would ask the adult to put them away and leave them at home.

I'm usually bumming a weather report off one of the adults' Blackberrys, so I'm glad they bring them.

In our unit, the cell phone is the only electronic device that is allowed and then for adults only. I guess a Blackberry would be allowed as long as it didn't become an attractive nuisance. I have seen leaders at summer camp with electric fans and televisions. GAD!!! Makes me want to do mischief somehow. ;)

A lot of adults are gear-heads and love to show off their newest gadget. Some years ago an adult brought a battery operated TV and after dinner he set it up by the fire so he could watch (I kid you not) an episode of Touched by an Angel. I recall that it was a "very special episode". I could not believe what I was seeing. This guy was retired special ops; didn't strike me as the Touched by an Angel kind of guy. The following week the PLC voted to ban TVs from outings. At least THEY got it right.

Pack, do you allow GPS devices?

pack said

"I have seen leaders at summer camp with electric fans and televisions. GAD!!! Makes me want to do mischief somehow. "

You aint kidding. I went camping with a CS pack this weekend, and there were fans and what not in abundance. It was only 88 degrees for crying out loud.

Hey cathyjh -

I'm seriously interested in what prompted your original question...

Do you want to prohibit adults carrying cell phones? If so, why? What happened?

Or, did your son's SM prohibit adults from carrying cell phones? If so, why? What happened?

Thanks!!

Hal, we don't ban GPS units. We just don't have much use for them. On a backpack trip, you have an actual trail and unless someone can't read a map, it's fairly foolproof. A GPS is just dead weight - it won't even tell you a direction unless you're moving. But I HAVE seen French presses and the like. Go figure.

But then, you should take what I write with some caution, I've been told that I'm a neo-Luddite.