Boy Scout Handbook - Centennial Edition

Saw this at Ask Andy (http://netcommish.com/AskAndy169.asp). Anyone have any more info?

"Keep your eyes peeled for the new Boy Scout Handbook-Centennial Edition, due out around the end of summer. This 2010 edition, according to author Robert Birkby, will focus on the experience of Scouting, rather than paralleling the Tenderfoot through First Class requirements, which was the theme of the 1998 book, or emphasize eco-friendlinessa new consideration at that timeof the 1990 edition. The new edition will look back at the past 100 years heritage and also forward into Scoutings second century, using a combination of vintage images, modern photos, and contemporary graphics. The Centennial Handbook will have three main sections: Scoutcraft, Woodcraft, and Campcraft; it will also be the first Handbook with a chapter on effective leadership. The initial press run is said to be 750,000 (with millions to follow, without question). Ill bet they just fly off the shelves! "

It would have if Andy had given me an acknowledgement or response to a few previous e-mails that I had sent to him over the past few months.

Secondly, I didn't ask anyone to confirm anything. I asked if anyone had more information.

This was announced on the MYSCOUTING.ORG site under the national training thread in the April 2009 update that was posted. The only thing is that the update said it will come out in JUNE.

HOPEFULLY it will not be chock full of errors like the Insignia Guide.

Remember when the Boy Scout Handbook was about giving information to the kids, and not being a statement in and of itself?

Someone needs to go back and look at the 1958 or 1965 Edition one more time before they release this on the world.

Sheesh.

From the April 2nd 2009 Training Update found here:

http://community.scouting.org/groups/national_volunteer_development_training/media/p/8696.aspx

-The centennial edition (12th) of the Boy Scout Handbook will be available in July, 2009. It will feature a mixture of parts of many of the early hand books with a 21st century flair. The handbook features chapters on Leadership and Leave No Trace, which both are firsts. There will be a supplemental 100 year timeline book with the first printing and a mini-book with the rank requirements that is pockets size. A website will provide in-depth information on many subjects.

Be interesting to see it. I know that one of the changes they were discussing at the National level was dropping the requirement for Scout Spirit.(This message has been edited by Herms)

"A website will provide in-depth information on many subjects."

Perhaps the in depth leadership will be online and the backwoods stuff will be in detail in the book.

If not maybe we should make a collaborative effort to write a book called the "The Missing Boy Scout Handbook" with a subtitle of "Boy Scouting in Patrols" with the warning label "To be used in the outdoors only". Of course it would be dimensioned to fit in a pocket.

(This message has been edited by ASM 411)

"A website will provide in-depth information on many subjects."

So it'll be modeled after the virtually worthless Venturing Ranger book? Grrreeaat.

You can shove a book in your backpack and consult it by the light of the campfire at your whim. You can't do that with a computer screen

ASM411:

I guess you haven't noticed that the new pants' pockets are sized to fit the Handbook. For balance you can put the Field Book in the other pocket. Together they will pull your pants down around your ankles causing you to fall on your face. Scouting is still an adventure.

For a while if you bought your uniform on-line they would automatically add both books to your cart. Don't know if they are still doing that. I'm sure that every 11 year old boy wants to join an organization where they immediately give you not one but two thick books to read. Now with pictures from the 1920s! Oh, boy!

Shortridge wrote: "You can shove a book in your backpack and consult it by the light of the campfire at your whim. You can't do that with a computer screen"

I'm guessing you haven't seen how small some of the latest laptops are or a Blackberry or an I-Phone (shudder). Provided, you need a magnifying glass to see the screen, but computers are becoming quite portable. I read somewhere recently that they plan to offer an LCD projector option on some cell phones within a few years.

I'm sure the microwave oven option will follow shortly. (chuckle)

Unless National is revising the requirements, the HB still has to have the same basic material. Sounds like more of a packaging and presentation strategy.

Well, my problem with the 11th Edition is that it DOESN'T have the same basic material. I sure hope the 12th Edition brings back some of the material that was deleted from the 9th or 10th editions in favor of useless white space on the margins or glossy photos that don't add substance.