What is definition of a UNIT ??

UNIT stands for "UNified Intelligence Taskforce formerly known as the United Nations Intelligence Task force, a fictional military organisation from the British science fiction television series Doctor Who."

OH wait in refernce to the BSA :)

The term unit is the overall term for Cub Scout packs, Boy Scout troops, Varsity Scout teams, Venturing Crews, and Sea Scout ships.

Sorry couldn't help myself with the Doctor Who reference.

To expound upon what Eagle92 said, a "unit" is the body which is chartered

Cub Scouts=PACK

Boy Scouts=TROOP

Varsity=TEAM

Venturing=CREW

Sea Scout=SHIP

Each of these is organized in roughly the same way. All have a Chartering Organization, a Charter Representative, a Committee, a Committee Chair, and a Unit Leader (ie, Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Coach, Advisor or Skipper, repsectively).

Does that help?

Thanks for the info... here is why I ask.

one of the requirements for a Scouter to earn the Emergency Prepardness Pin is to:

"Put together a unit emergency kit to be kept at your unit meeting location. (This includes all locations where you might have a meeting.)"

Now, if I am just a mere Den Leader, and we already have a first aid kit for the whole Pack (the unit). Does not seem to make sense to have TWO first aid kits kept at the Pack location. Would I be ok, and comply with the spirit of the requirement, to make a First Aid kit for my den, and keep it with me at all Den activities?

johnnylaw101 ,

It's been a long time since I've been directly involved in cub scouting but from past experience I think you would be following the spirit of the requirement if you maintained this at den level.

The strict definition of unit may not fit but most advancement in Cubs does tend to be done at den level.

Johnny,

Think bigger than just the First Aid Kit. Most Packs/Troops/Crews I've seen don't have a "true" Emergency kit. Things you may want to consider: Water purification tablets, small radio, flashlights, fire starting materials etc... Things that may help Scouts and the community in the event of a natural disaster that could hit your area.

In our Pack (chartered by a private school), we do a service project for the school each year.

This year, I've proposed to the headmaster that we load up 4 (or more) big rubbermaid bins with identical supplies to be placed around the multi-building campus. Since our 2nd year Webelos have bridged out, and we only have 1 den per grade, we can have each den work on their bin in a den meeting.

The school already has water and emergency food, so our supplies will focus on lighting, first aid/medical, water purification, communication, gas-shutoff-wrenches/tape/ropes/tarps/gloves, blankets, warmers, and all the other myriad of things you want when in earthquake country and you may have a bunch of kids to take care of and no power or clean water.

Luckily, all the buildings are one story and we have no other natural disasters to worry about.

Doing something like that (even at a den level) would seem to fit the bill as other posters have said.

Al,

What a great idea! May I make a suggestion on the lighting part? Unless you know someone is going to be regularly checking the kits, try to avoid battery powered flashlights. Batteries have a shelf life, even if not stored in the flashlight (and if you do use battery powered lights, the batteries should not be stored in the flashlight anyway).

Try to get the crank or flywheel style flashlights if you can - a bit of elbow grease will provide plenty of emergency lighting.

Al,

What a great idea! May I make a suggestion on the lighting part? Unless you know someone is going to be regularly checking the kits, try to avoid battery powered flashlights. Batteries have a shelf life, even if not stored in the flashlight (and if you do use battery powered lights, the batteries should not be stored in the flashlight anyway).

Try to get the crank or flywheel style flashlights if you can - a bit of elbow grease will provide plenty of emergency lighting.

Yes, definitely. Crank radio and lights for sure. Some glow sticks as well.

There will be other stuff in there that may or may not have a shelf life as well especially in the first aid kit, so the plan is that each year during April/May, the Pack will open up the supplies and then replace and add as necessary. This way, emergency prep is an ongoing part of the program and we can make sure that everything is good-to-go each year.