Scouts and Adults in Debt

Tell them no. If it is a matter of not paying attention, usually the committee chair could have a quiet conversation with the scout's parent and that would fix things. It is not fair or reasonable for the parent or scout to expect the troop to absorb the cost just because they weren't being responsible.

On the other hand, if it is a matter of economic hard times and some kids really cannot afford it? Then maybe your committee looks at its campership policy (if you have such a policy). Our troop has a fund that scouts could apply to in order to help cover costs. But they/their parents do need to apply - we don't just automatically use that fund to cover people who haven't paid their bills without asking. Again, maybe your committee chair could quietly approach the parent to see if assistance is needed. And if it is a lot of folks in need? Maybe you sit down and talk about setting up some cheaper camp outs.

Being one of those scouts who was in debt after my father walked out, I can tell you how embarrassing it can be. I was fortunate in that our treasurer discretely worked it out. My troop did one fundraiser a year in two parts. The scouts cleaned trash at a local festival all weekend, while the adults worked the htodog booth. By doing trash detail all weekend, and it sounds worse than it was, I was able to pay my troop dues and go camping, including summer camp.

As for adults, my troop at one time paid their way to all events since they were giving of their time, talents, and vehicles. Once we startd having adults show up to have some fun, that policy changed, but since I was a college student supprotign myself, the committee let me go free still, and no one had any problems with that.

My advice would be to be discrete and make arrangements. Use council resources like OA camperships and scholarships. Make the scout, and adult if needed, put some "sweat equity" into the program so that they can earn their way instead of getting a hand out. Bet you they will have a better time knowing that they put so much time and energy to be able to go ont he trip.

I agree with Eagle92 and LisaBob,

Camperships are a nescessity, especially in these times, but we are teaching the boys self-reliance as well. Sweat equity is a good way to be self reliant. There may also be items that the IH/Troop need done that are within the youth's (and/or parents) ability as well.

It is wrong to tell someone that you can't go to camp because you're poor. It's just not the Scout way...

just my $0.02

YiS,

Rick

I agree about giving a hand up not a hand out. Begin teaching scouts about responsibility and earning their way in order to go to these fun activities otherwise a troop will continue to have a scout(s)/scouter(s) mooching all along the trail.

I wouldn't allow the Scouts or Adults in debt to just continue vouchering. That's exactly like what our federal government is doing today. I prefer the clarity of using camperships (with or without sweat equity depending on situation) specifically approved by the troop committee. Not all Scouts or adults may be able to work out a sweat equity solution -- the troop committee hopefully will know and understand what's appropriate for his/her specific situation -- but you don't want to encourage a "welfare" attitude either (as far as I'm concerned, that's a part of the 9th point of the Scout Law).