Added Information to Totin Chip

Referring to earlier post: Totin Chip -

To add to the story - The Assistant Scout Master did cut the corner of the card. The Scout stated the knife fell out of his pocket but it was too dark to find it. He figured he would look in the morning but got picked up early and didn't get it. He felt bad that he lost it and was really happy when the announcement was made if anyone lost a knife, until the Assistant Scoutmaster cut the corner and would not listen to his story. During this same campout two other Scouts recieved a warning because they were actually widdling near other Scouts but did not have a corner cut on their card. This Assistant Scoutmaster does not have any kids in the troop - he is in his early 20's. The SPL is upset because the issue was never brought up to him or the other patrol leaders.

Our troop has many young adults with no children leading as SM and ASM and dealing appropriately with behavior issues - what is the solution?

Cathy

Cathy,

Not to sound hardnosed, but there is no problem with non-parents or parents with no children in the unit still remaining active. I've been an adult leader for 17 years now, and my oldest will not be a TC until June 1. One of the best trainers I've ever had was a lady whose son graduated out of Cubs adn Scouting and was in Pharmacy school when I met her, yet she was still a Cubmaster and CS Trainer. And then my old SM had no childen at all, his nephews needed a SM and he volunteered. Stayed in the position for 25 years.

The best way to resolve this challenge is to volunteer in either a leadership role, or as a committee member who is responsible for recruiting leaders. make sure to undergo training as some folks have a real problem transitioning from CSs to BSs. There are differences in the programs, and I am having the reverse problem; transitioning from BSs to CSs ;)

While the SPL and/or PLs should be the ones to handle it, in an emergency for safety reasons, the Adult should take charge as we are the ones resposnible for safety.

Personally I think the dropped knife is not a problem, unless the blade was open. Then that's a safety issue. As to the other incident, can't really comment on, there may be more to the story.

maybe havign a cup of coffee and talking to the ASM, or better yet have your son talk to him after a few days.

One other thing to remember, he still has Totin Chit privelges as long as A) he has a corner left, or B) the card is not cut in half.

I have a problem with cutting off the corner if things happened the way you relate but I'd like to hear the other side of the story.

I have a HUGE issue with your complaint about "many young adults with no children leading as SM and ASM". I've been a Scouter for nearly 21 years now and have yet to meet Miss Right. In fact, I was acting SM at my first summer camp as a Scouter and had no complaints. Most parents seemed to think my age then was an asset as I straddled the bridge between parent-age and Scout-age and the fact I DIDN'T have kids in the troop gave me an aura of objectivity.

I was asked by the Troop CC to be the SM 3 years later. Over the next 2 years (when I moved), I only received one complaint from one parent -- and the CC and other committee members not only defended me immediately, they pretty much told the mother that if she wanted to continue with her complaints she was free to take her son to another troop (I only found about this after the fact).

Now, aside from the age and kid issues, if you have a problem with how the SM or ASM are handling the boys, you should bring this up in a troop committee meeting. If other parents have similar complaints it is high time for the CC to have a cold emotionless discussion with the SM and/or ASM in question. If no one else has a similar complaint, you should rethink your perception of how they are handling the boys.

"Our troop has many young adults with no children leading as SM and ASM"

And this is a problem? Let's see, I became an assistant scoutmaster at 19. I was appointed the scoutmaster at 21. I do not have any kids. I am still with the troop as scoutmaster 28 years later.

Do the "young adults" have the training needed and the support of the troop and committee?

As for the card issue, I probably would have let it slide if it fell out of his pocket, but like stated earlier, I don't know both sides of the story here.