I know that presenting scouts special troop awards has been discussed before, even recently, but this is a different take on things. Do your troops give awards for "mistakes" the scouts make? Like the events described in the thread from which this was originally spun, the "Slash and Burn" award to the scout who cut himself after spending all day sharpening his knife and only wanting to fuse the ends of the rope and start a campfire.

Please don't take this wrong. I am not talking about ridiculing scouts here, but about some good natured fun.

That's where nicknames, and in the OA Vigil names, come from ;) All in good fun and no harrassing involved. Heck my old lodge even changed a lodge chief's vigil name because he did not like the tranlsation "Fiery-headed Loud Mouth Chief." National reissued the certificate to "Fiery-headed Chief."

COH after summer camp the scouts look forward to their "special awards". My son was the co-winner of the "Lobster of the year award." Every scout gets something. Had a scout jump in the pool for the first time got " The Big Splash Award."

After our yearly Rummage Sale we give one family a special traveling trophy for bringing the weirdest, oddest, strangest item to the sale. It started years ago when someone donated a toilet, and we actuially sold it. So we awarded the family a golden potty chair. Since then, every family has had to embelish the award with something during the year they have it. So the potty chair is now a working lamp with TP, air freshener, a mini plunger, a book, flowers, etc. It's a lot of fun!

Our troop gives out "Prizes of Unspeakable Value" or POUVS for all kinds of events including mistakes.

Typically they are trinkets from Sportsmansguide.com, Cheaperthandirt.com or the local Dollar store. We awarded WWII era drinking cups from Switzerland this past weekend to a patrol. We have awarded leather beltloops, LED zipper pulls, match holders, keyrings, compasses, lanyards, whistles, light sticks, etc. Sometimes a dozen of some useless item from the above websites really makes the day of a patrol of 11 yr olds.

Summer camp winners included most bug bites, most sunburn, most injuries, etc.

At campouts, they are awarded to patrols for best entry in the Sat evening patrol cookoff. Often things happen that warrant a POUV. Biggest fish caught, usually during a campout where fishing was not the scheduled event. Someone does something stupid or by accident or without thinking that becomes the joke of the event. They will recieve a POUV.

I like the "Prizes of Unspeakable Value" term.

As an ASM in our Troop, I usually get to recognize Scouts for non-rank/advancement awards, like "Good Turn for America" projects, or "kayak award", rescue whistles for service to the BALOO course I teach 2x a year, or other activity I think needs mentioned at a COH.

One of the other "memorable" tokens I give out are "Flag Grommets" retrieved when we retire flags. It takes more than participating in a single Troop Flag Retirement Ceremony to get one.

In the past I have made "Paracord fobs" and attached them, or a simple red/white/blue cord with a grommet.