Dutch Oven Cobbler Recipies

Cherry Apple dump cake

2 boxes of yellow cake mix

1 can of dark cherries in water (not syrup, not pie filling)

1 can of apple pie filling

1 can of sprite

1 stick of butter

dump, mix and bake for 35-45 minutes at 350 F.

(see-- http://www.yalleatyet.com/Charcoal_Cooking.html)

I like to line the bottom with a parchment paper liner. I think it works tons better than aluminum foil.

Cherry simplicity:

1 bx white cake

1 can cherries

1 stick butter (oh, ok, you want margarine...)

Empty cherries into bottom of Aluminum foil.

Add white cake mix

slice butter and put pats all over top of mix.

Put in Dutch oven 45 minutes.

Eat.

Cherry-Pineapple Cobbler

2 can cherry pie filling

1/2 can Sprite

1 sm can crushed pineapple

1 box spice cake mix

1 stick butter

2 tbs. sugar

cinnamon

1/2 cup chopped pecans

Dump cherries and pineapple in oven and stir in 1/2 can of Sprite to thin compote (it needs to be a little runny for cobbler to "work"). Any liquid will work -- soft drinks, water, bug juice. The kids think it's really cool if you use a can of Red Bull.

Dump cake mix dry on top of cherry mixture. DO NOT STIR. Slice butter on top of cake mix, sprinkle with pecans sugar and cinnamon (sugar gives the top a nice glaze, but be careful not to burn it.

Cooks for about 45 minutes.

The pineapple is the secret ingredient. Gives the cobbler a nice tartness and takes the edge off the syruppy-sweet cherries.

Mountain Dew Peach Dump Cobbler

2 (30 oz.) cans sliced peaches

1 can Mountain Dew, Sprite or 7Up

1 yellow cake mix; dry

stick butter

Ice cream of your choice

1. Into a 12" Dutch oven add peaches and spread out.

2. Stir in 1/3 cup instant tapioca.

3. Pour cake mix over peaches then pour the soda over the cake mix.

4. (optional) Stir to mix completely.

5. Dot top with butter

6. Place lid on oven.

7. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour using 12 briquettes top and 12 briquettes bottom.

8. Rotate oven one direction 90 and lid the opposite way, 90 every 15 minutes.

Serve warm with ice cream.

Serves: 8-10

The Scouts like ANYTHING with Mountain Dew in it, and it gives it a nice balance against the sweetness of the peaches.

Pineapple Cobbler

2 cans crushed pineapple

1 pineapple cake mix

pour pineapple in oven

spread cake mix evenly over pineapple

Personally, I'd skip the butter on all the above recipes. Who needs all that fat anyway?

I remember as a youth, my dad would use what ever berries we could find on the way in or near the camp site, possibly some sugar, and bisquick (mixed according to directions) spooned on top.

Thanks for this thread, made me remember this.

For the traditional dump cake I enjoy adding Black Rasberries to either apple or peach pie filling. (I love the crunchy little seeds)

I think technically:

Dump Cakes are where you dump a box of cake mix on top of the fruit, and put butter slices on top of that to get the buttery crispiness and mega sugar content.

Cobblers are deep dish dessert with a thick biscuit style dough over the fruit (also can encapsulate the fruit)

Crisps (American) and Crumbles (English name) have a fruit bottom and crumb topping. The topping is usually composed of some of the following; flour, nuts, bread crumbs, cookie or graham cracker crumbs, oatmeal, even breakfast cereal.

Buckles are a single layer cake with fruit (often blueberries) inside. They have a streusel topping giving it a "buckled" appearance.

That being said, definitely experiment, make more than one kind, and taste test them all.

Some people lattice pie dough over the fruit and sprinkle a little sugar.

Some people use the pre-made cookie dough, and place it over the fruit, for an interesting dessert.

When I was a scout, Cobbler dough was 3 parts Bisquick, 1 part sugar and 1 part liquid (we would use the peach juice from the canned peaches)

For cobbler biscuit topping though (scale up for dutch oven size):

At home, mix 1 cup flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 3/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 5 tablespoond butter in a food processor until you get a kind of coarse meal

At camp mix the above with 1/3 cup plain yogurt. Use that as your biscuit dough to make cobbler. It will rise nicely in the dutch oven (so leave room with the lid on for expansion)

A camping recipe from Hague Freezeout who adapted this from a recipe on www.inquiry.net. This tastes great. After 25 minutes check on it. Be sure somebody is there watching because you will be weak in the knees from the great smell.

Prep Time: 40 minutes

Ingredients:

5 Granny Smith apples

20 canned biscuits

2 cups water

2 sticks butter

1 cup sugar

cinnamon

maple syrup

Preparation:

Cut, peel, core and slice apples into 1/8th wedges. Line Dutch oven with foil. Melt butter and mix sugar and water all together. Cut each buscuit in half and form around each individual apple wedge. Pour half of water mixture into lined Dutch oven. Put in biscuit/apples. Pour rest of water mixture over top of buscuit/apples. Drip about a quarter cup of maple syrup on top. Sprinkle with some cinnamon. Cook in Dutch oven for about 40 minutes. For 10" Dutch oven use 10 coals on bottom and 16 on top. For 12" Dutch oven use 12 coals on bottom and 18 on top. Be sure to spin the lid and rotate the oven about every 10 minutes to prevent hot spots.

Servings: 6

Preparation time: 40 minutes