Our scoutmaster and the treasurer recently bought a very used (has large hole in bulkhead) box end trailer for a whopping $2000.00 from the treasurers brother in-law. You can buy a new one for $2500.00. They also refuse to show what is left in the bank nor a bank statement to the committee. Shame on them for not using the money on the scouts. After all the scouts were the ones that worked to make that money. Is there anything we can do???

What is your position in the unit? As a parent, about all you can do is register your displeasure with the Chartering Organization (COR)...they own the unit...and the money. There are no BSA rules AFAIK governing how Unit committees spend their money, and your Council will probably stay "hands off" unless there's something illegal going on. Also, I don't think there is anything that says they have to show you the books. If the CO is happy with the way the UNit is managing its program, you have no recourse other than to vote with your feet.

Our pack has an (unwritten) policy that major proposed expenditures be discussed at a pack committee meeting prior to purchase. This also gives us time to review the budget to ensure that sufficient funds are there. We've discussed buying an enclosed trailer in the future, but it's a significant cost and we would likely save for that item specifically over a few years. Prior to purchase of such a large item, my opinion (as CC) is that committee & COR approval would have to be unanimous.

Although perhaps it is not required, I feel that the pack budget should be transparent and pack budget info available to people who come to the committee meetings. However, our committee and treasurer put a lot of time and effort into making the best choices for the pack, including spending decisions. Thus, I wouldn't be very tolerant of a parent (or den leader for that matter) who never comes to committee meetings yet was frequently critical about decisions made by the committee.

So, I'm not sure what your position is in the pack, and we don't have too much background about the whole situation, so it's hard to give you specific advice.

Did the treasurer and Scoutmaster go behind the back of the committee and purchase the trailer? Or, perhaps the pack committee thoroughly reviewed the pros and cons of owning a trailer, researched the price and found that the brother-in-law's trailer was like new and truly a good deal (resale is very high on enclosed trailers in good condition), and the monies for the purchase are there in the budget?

These are two very different scenarios.

More specifics about your situation would be helpful.

Yah, scorpionace, yeh have to tell us what your role is? Regular parent? Committee Chair?

Generally speakin', financial decisions on capital purchases should be made accordin' to your bylaws or to the rules established by the chartered organization that owns the unit.

If you are an agent for the troop committee (like the CC) and you truly suspect financial fraud, yeh meet with the head of the chartered organization, and proceed by going to the bank and gettin' copies of the records, and consider filing a complaint with local law enforcement or requesting an investigation. Notify the BSA council Scout Executive as well. Naturally, that involves immediately suspending/terminating your SM and treasurer.

If you're a parent who just doesn't think that the group made a good purchase decision, then yeh voice your concern at a committee meeting, and perhaps work to set up rules/bylaws on capital purchases. Or just volunteer to help out more so they can benefit from your expertise in the future before they make a decision.

Beavah

This is the primary reason many nonprofits have anti-self-dealing rules that prohibit officers or directors from making deals that would personally benefit them or a family member. If it smells bad, that's enough to harm an organization's reputation, whether or not it's all fair and above-board.

Some deals are good for both the seller and the buyer. If a private college buys a tract of land for expansion from a trustee, that smells bad. But if that tract of land is the only available, and the trustee gave them a significant discount, it would seem OK. In this case, the deal may be over and there's nothing that can be done. But perhaps the treasurer's brother-in-law could agree to refurbish it, provide regular monthly maintenance, paint a troop logo on the side for free, etc. - good things to build goodwill.

This would be the most worrying part of the situation to me: "They also refuse to show what is left in the bank nor a bank statement to the committee."

The committee administers the unit on behalf of the chartered organization. They can't make effective decisions without knowing what the unit's resources are. And no one who has been living by the Oath and Law should be refusing to disclose details of the unit's financial health to those who have a need to know.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

thx

everyone's comments are helpful. My position in the troop is a committee member. the committee chair is the treasure. I have a boy in the troop and he has recruited over half the boys here. I will be more Leary of any more fund raisers and suggest a different account.

All parents in the Troop are ex officio on the TC. Make sure all know about the purchase.

The Treasurer must make all transactions open and available to the TC, this is only reasonable.

How is the trailer titled? Who owns it? Who purchased the tags? Who holds the registration? Who insures it? The COrg by rights (unless the Troop is 'self chartered', another can of worms) owns the trailer and the IH and COR should be made aware of any great capital acquisition. These issues all need to be addressed ,too, besides internecine politics.

I was once part of an organization that did sponsor hikes and canoe trips and such (not Scouts) and we always "rented" a van from one of our loyal parents. We felt the org should not OWN such equipment. Our rental agreement allowed for insurance and responsibility for various contingencies. He kept the van in good repair, we used it for good purposes, he was paid a reasonable sum for use of his van. Kept our costs down and predictable.

760: Yep, as in all volunteer groups, the work is done by whoever shows up. It's good if all the TC members take the "TCMember" training (online), but really, any Troop parent who shows up is on the committee. And, indeed, the TC members need not be parents in the Troop. Our home Troop's CC has a son who graduated from Scouts more than a few years ago. He still serves as TCC and very well too. Keeps us all up to date and ready. Many of the active TC members are new to Scouting, some old timers. All are supportive, with ideas, time, experience, and ownership of the various tasks and activities necessary to the Scout Troop Program.

A good TCC works the phone, invites EVERY Tparent to participate, works to eliminate cliques and "old boy" networks, for soon the "old boys" won't be there anymore and then the "young boys" ;-) need to take over or there will soon be no Troop.

Remain on the ethical high ground, do not allow yourself to be brought down to their level. Good Scouting to you.

SSScout,

If that be the case, then you need to have each adult run their BSA leader app and get on with it.

For a while, my Troop did what you said... then we realized that the noises we were hearing were those of the helicopters.

JiKC: Absolutely. When the boy signs up, the parent(s) are also handed an app and it is explained how important it is to the Troops success to have an active Committee.

Oh, BTW, was that the parent helicopter or the UFO helicopters you referred to?

Two things you state bother me a great deal....

1) SM, CC refuse to show the books to the committe members or discuss how much is left in the account? WHAT? How can the committee plan the program if they have no idea how much money they have to opperate ?!?!?

2) CC and Treasurer are the same person ?!?! Not a good idea at all. SM, CC, and Treasurer should all be sepereate posistions and if at all possible not in the same family within the unit.

Transparency builds confidence, secrecy breeds mistrust (even if there is no reason to suspect wrongdoing).

If you are a registered committee member, time to have a talk with your COR or DE about the money handling within your unit.

If you don't get a satisfactory answer, then you can always vote with your feet.

Good luck - I don't envy you.

Also the scoutmaster and his wife is also the unit commissioner and the asst d c I,ve known for a long time and is a yes man and as smart as a sack of rocks! LOL

So does this mean absolute power

corrupts absolutely ???

Guess I will have to bite my tong. But I will be very cautious of fundraisers.

Without one volunteer parent and me the boys wouldn't have any hikes.

Scout master is in his 70s smokes like a chimney and has had 3 back surgeries.

The assistant scoutmaster is very much over weight and cant walk much father than 50 feet before losing his breath and sitting down {however he is extremely talented on crafts and merit badge advancements.} One thing for certain I wont let the kids down I too was a scout but my troop had lots of fun and adventure.

thanks for the info and letting me vent my problems and pick your brains most you guys are very knowledgeable and some are full of bull. but thats ok.

Ive got a cool head and go with the flow