• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't forget it, I left it alone.

It's one of those that can too easily run into hazing territory as people start to make fun of the person doing it.

But again in the right circumstances, with the right folks....

Wow. A lot of posts for this question. Here's my $0.02 for what it is worth:

I have actually seen push-ups used in Scouting as well as military like formations. Patrols, squads, command posts,... But I, as a BSA member observing this was curious as to wether that would work in the US.

I don't know but I do think our youth, in general, need more discipline. The "PC" bull-pucky of "Use your inside voice" or "you're getting a time-out" does NOT seem to be working. The general youth have less respect for their seniors than ever. They expect to be pampered till death (I'm not willing to wait till they change their mind so death may be an exageration).

Somehow, our society came to the conclussion, and government got on the bandwagon, that children should not be diciplined, even by their own parents. I say this because some places have "laws" that state the maximum number of spanks you may give your child at one time before they can arrest you for child abuse! I believe, in the Portland Area, it is three (3) spanks.

BSA has people that cover the gambut. Military, civillian, thin, portly, tall, small, young and old. We all agreed to follow BSA policy within the BSA and the "Promise" and "Law" of our selected area (Cub/Boy).

As stated, push-ups are physical fitness. A good leader knows that the error of the group is also his/her error and if push-ups are what they think are called for, they do them too.

Just my $0.02