Big change in Tour Permits

Its about time marshmallow cooking was adopted into the woodbadge program.

Here is an expanded list from the same sweat lodge elders.

The follow bans will be in effect upon the first full moon of summer.

Marshmallows roasting & by Incorporation som-mores

Field use of Jiffy Pop (it never works outside the kitchen, Why try?)

Hotdogs with out buns (a kid could choke)

Open fires (these things are hot, and unnecessary)

Propane lanterns (LED lights are better for the environment)

Liquid Fuel stoves (Scouts should learn to eat cold food on campouts)

Swimming (all water activities will be limited to 24 depth)

Canoeing with out a registered guide from Maine or Minnesota (National has a list of two guides but intends to expand this list to three by July 4)

Camping in the rain

Fun

Games

Sense of adventure (High spirited youth tend to ruin the adult experience)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, Richard, I appreciate yeh all wantin' to move discussions over to your own sandbox at myscouting, eh?

Unfortunately, the myscouting portal is so technically flawed that it's almost unusable for many folks. That's what happens when yeh use non standards compliant interfaces. As of yesterday, it still won't let me log in for anything but the trainin', and makes a hash of a lot of pages. Like most of ScoutNet, eh?

Appreciate that that's not your department, but da reality is until yeh get some real IT and communications pros down the hall, your online communications presence isn't goin' to be effective.

Besides, while I expect that most online presences would love to control as much of da market and discussion traffic as they can via their own portal, I reckon that's just not da way good communications works in the modern world. Yeh have to have a broader strategy. In case you were wonderin', dsrobert's April Fools prank just proved that for yeh.

Same engaging with the broader world applies to good Risk Management, but that's another topic, eh? ;)

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Mr. Bourlon,

I notice you are a CSP. I am a Certified Industrial Hygienist and a past-Director of the American Board of Industrial Hygiene. In the past 30+ years, I have gained a fair amount of experience in reading, interpreting, editing and writing H&S policy documents, Fact Sheets and Government regulations, as well as program management, training, and compliance reviews. I can be an excellent critic and sounding board, in a constructive sorta way, prior to going "live" with stuff. I also have experience and training in the field of Risk Communication. Also a Scout and Scouter for 30+ years.

As an H&S colleague, rather than snipe anonymously, I am offering to assist in any way as a volunteer. Heck, I can even serve on committees! PM me if you're interested, and I can shoot you a resume. As my unit service winds down, I was wondering how I would continue to serve Scouting. Perhaps this is it!

scoutldr, MPH, CIH

Not to veer too far off topic...

I was told by multiple folks at our council office that the ban on Lazer-tag and paintball (or any other game in which you "shoot" something at someone) was done under the guise of H&S. However, the REAL reason for the ban is not the injury rate, but the ideological stance that boys should be trained at all times to treat a potential weapon as a weapon.

i.e. - BB Guns and Archery are only allowed on a range, with a rangemaster. Therefore any other simulated weapon should never be pointed / discharged towards another person.

This, I have been told is the reason for the ban on lazer tag and paint-ball. Its not that these activities have any higher incidence of injury than some of the other activities scouts do on a regular basis. Its the illogical conclusion of why our kids can no longer play cowboys and indians at recess and use their hands with pointer finger out and thumb up and yell "bang, bang" at another kid. Someone, somewhere has decided that doing this as a young child makes it easier for kids to turn into Columbine / VT type students - thus we must not promote such an activity.

BSA doesn't want to send a mixed message about weapon safety. Whether thats a correct idea or hogwash (which can be debated ad nauseum in another thread), it was the reason I have been given in multiple trainings from various folks within my council.

The easiest place to address said issue is via a H&S policy.

RichardB - welcome to these 'outside' forums, and if you are still lurking - please feel free to either confirm / deny / correct what I've been told by the San Diego-Imperial Council.

YiS,

DeanRx

I think that athe joke was rather funny.

as for the Marshmallows, I have found one way to make it easy and safer. Tell the boys (and sometimes the parents) te following:

1. We have plenty of marshmallows, if yours catches fire and falls in just ask for another. That simple.

2. At NO TIME should you try to extinguish your Marshmallow by flinging it back and forth on the end of you stick. It is burnt. If you need another, just ask.

3. If you want to blow out your marshmallow, do it carefully and ask for your parents help. Taking a minute to be safe will help to ensure safety.

Cut and dry. People may say that the military has done me wrong because I give safety briefings before activities. But they haveproven if you remind people of basic ground rules and how to prevent injuries, then safety briefings work.

Wow, I missed the bit about the ban on simulated weapons, guess I should be checking G2SS more regularly but I really wish National would put these things out for discussion before issuing their edicts. Irving seems to be emulating the nonsense out of DC more and more every year.

Simulated weapons?

I "require" all the boys that have the 6' walking stick in our troop to mark them off at 1' intervals and one of those intervals "has" to have 12 - 1" marked. This way when the boys screw around with them and use them for weapons I can take them away and use them to beat them to within 1" of their lives and know when to quit. Rumor has it that I'm serious. (see thread on practical jokes)

Please don't take me seriously on this and be sure never to tell my boys either. :)

Stosh