Big change in Tour Permits

I think he means lazer tag. It was banned, then very breifly ok,and now the ban is back.

What i find intersting is that in my council's coupon book that is being sold, there is a coupon for lazer tag!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

flashlight tag = lazertag

Where there are no lazers

There are not real guns

There is ZERO safety risk when compared to the things that we do participate in.

Actually the technology is the same used for bar codes in supermarkets so in fact we should ban our kids going into the grocery store since those places are full of danger.

I understand that the ban is in place because of political reasons. Might even agree if there was a document of things that we ban because of political reasons but to bury this under health and safety clearly demonstrates that either the BSA thinks the Volunteer leaders are to stupid to understand the difference between political policy and health and safety or they simply don't care about us or maybe they just make rules without thinking them thru.

And that is exactly why national has to step in on Don's joke. They have a history of such silliness.

Yah, I think now the ban is on any "simulated weapon." Not sure if flashlights count, but squirtguns, toy phasers, and pointin' a banana and goin' "bang" are definitely out. ;)

Perhaps Richard can stick around a while and try to explain that, along with other odd H&S views. Might be more helpful than publicly chatisin' a scouter for an April Fools prank.

BTW, welcome to da forums, dsroberts! And thanks for the chuckle.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

Marsh Mellowing roasting Ban. :0

The council of elders while in discussion within the Texas sweat Lodge have decided that hence forth Marshmallows must be eaten raw. Under no circumstances shall flame, charcoal, or heating element be used to heat, toast or warm marshmallows.

The following reasons are cited:

1) Marshmallow flavor is inexplicitly unchanged with heating. The council of elders found no bona-fide reason to roast, toast or heat the marsh Mellow.

2) Numerous Marshmallows have been consumed in flames and wasted due to improper cooking techniques. Attempts at teach the use of hot coals as a heat source instead of open flames has eluded the collective wisdom's of the scouting youths. The flaming marshmallow is typically deemed useless except for use as a torch once self sustaining combustion is reached.

3) Marshmallow cooking is no longer taught in Woodbadge. Lack of proper leader training in this skill has led to several mishaps including double marshmallow cooking and untold loses due to improperly securing the marshmallow to the extension device.

4) Finally the extension device used creates issues. a) The device is seldom properly sanitized between uses. Often dirt and fire are used as sources the removal of debris from the extension device. b) The extension devices have been used as improvised swords in a would be pirate battle.

C) They could poke an eye out.(This message has been edited by Mafaking)

"Finally the extension device used creates issues. a) The device is seldom properly sanitized between uses. Often dirt and fire are used as sources the removal of debris from the extension device. b) The extension devices have and been used as improvised swords in a would be pirate battle. C) They could poke an eye out."

######

Very good observation. I have seen several cases where younger scouts have used tent poles as swords. in simulated (or real) battle.

If the folk as Health and Safety were really concerned they would immediately act to ban tents that use these dangerous tent poles.

This brave act, if done now when the credibility of the National Health and Safety team is at a high point, would go a long way in showing how serious they are about safety.

It would be a huge help for all of those WEBELOS III, IV, V leaders who are already concerned that dirt and bugs in the food could cause a problem and are happy to do all of the troop camping in cabins and trailers.

The reference to the ban on flashlight tag is quite real. In a commercial context, it is called "lasertag" and the G2SS specifically bans it, but for a very narrow window the lasertag ban was removed then put back. Lasertag is definitely indistinguishable from flashlight tag, just done indoors with some high tech targeting equipment, using the catchy name "laser" to make those flashlights sound like more than they are

It amazes me that anyone took my prank seriously. Just read it. When has BSA *EVER* offered an explanation as to why it is making a change? When has BSA *EVER* recognized Powder Horn on an equal footing with Wood Badge (even though PH is a *FAR* superior and much more useful training, WB is the one with the reputation)? YPT is a local thing, and National has NO records of this training, so how can they require you put it on the TP? And WB or PH as required training to sign a form? Oh come now. Not to mention the virtual impossibility of the regional offices handling the volume. Ah well, one never knows what people will believe.

Uhhhh....

Mr Roberts needs to call his DE and ask for a copy of his ScoutNet record. He'll find YP listed... after all, the online course originates in MyScouting, which in turn is a component of the ScoutNet domain.

I am a bit abash for posting the email I got without verifying things first. I am usually good at checking facts before spreading such things. At present my husband is dealing with some major health issues which have kept me on the run (he has a second surgery on monday). I got that first thing in the morning from a good source from my district so I thought I would post and see if anyone else knew anything (this has always been a good place to get help on things coming down the pike). I was hoping that during the day things would be figured out. As you see by the time of this post, I have been running all day (I just got home). Well in the late day, while out, I was finally informed that it was a late April Fool's joke. As usual, I fell, hook, line and sinker! I don't mind falling for jokes but I do fell bad if my fast posting without verifying facts got to any one else.

Please all, accept my appology for any trouble I might have caused for posting before checking. (hide face in shame) 

"Yah, I think now the ban is on any "simulated weapon." Not sure if flashlights count, but squirtguns, toy phasers, and pointin' a banana and goin' "bang" are definitely out."

There goes the SuperSoakers at the pool that the kids love so much. And the pistol-grip nozzle on the hose we use to rinse off the deck has definitely got to go!

Maybe we'll just stay home from camp this year.

I'll be happy to engage on any H&S Topics as point man (primary target) for the H&S Support Committee that you guys care to throw at me but not here. I just plan to continue to lurk here for now.

Have an active forum and scouting safely group in the Scouting Community. http://community.scouting.org or you can get there via myscouting.org. You will need a valid membership # to play.

Come on in and we can discuss what you've done lately to protect the people, property and environment of the BSA.

Richard Bourlon, P.E., CSP

Team Leader, Health and Safety

PS: Flaming Marshmallows, aka Campfire Napalm is the lead for several program hazard analysis workshops we have put on (PTC H&S / RM) and will be doing at the National Meeting in 2009. Not to ban them but to educate adults to recognize, identify and resolve the hazards associated with them and let the youth fail if they need to in a safe environment.

Well, Richard, we'd all take the discussions much more seriously if BSA would BACK UP their position on H&S instead of just saying "hey, we've decided this is bad for no particular reason." Case in point? Lasertag. Compare safety issues in a commercial lasertag establishment with things that are allowed - skiing, hunting, snowmobiling, etc. Where are the statistics? If there are none, then be honest about it and admit that policy is part of H&S, not just safety. Otherwise, stick solely to H&S issues and let policy statements be found elsewhere.

Now they are even talking about flaming marshmallows? So, will there be mention of statistics? ANY proof at all that something more than a few minor burns to the tips of some fingers, the same thing that happens when a tenderfoot lights a match to light a stove? That is more likely to cause a burn, so ban that instead.

Silly. But even in the scouting forum you mention, Richard, you NEVER bring in actual injury statistics, so just admit it isn't H&S that is the concern, rather policy.

Don Roberts