Big change in Tour Permits

I just recieved this in an email. Our troop and pack are small. The pack is new so many are still working on basic training, much less Woodbadge. It sounds like we will no longer be able to do much as none can get woodbadge by the deadline. Anyone else in the same shape?

Found this on www.scouting.org

"BSA will be implementing a new Tour Permit policy as of July 1, 2009.  Due to inconsistency between council implementations of Local Tour Permits and the frequent confusion as to when to obtain a Local or National Tour Permit, the Boy Scouts of America will be eliminating the distinction between the National and Local Tour Permits and all Tour Permits will be issued by the Regional offices only.  The required signitures will also be changed, as all units, districts and councils will be required to have each signatory fully trained for his or her position for a valid signature.  The Unit Leader signing the form must be either Wood Badge for the 21st Century or Powder Horn trained.  The Committee member must have current committee member training.  All adults particpating in any BSA event must have unexpired appropriate level youth protection training.  Therefore, an additional page is being provided to list the names and training expiration  dates for all adults for the outing."

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there goes both of my two units after July 1st.

I'm WB trained but not the real kind.

I've trained in every level of scouting from Cubbing to Venturing and hold a PhD in UofS.

I have over 40 years working with youth.

And when all is said and done, the only thing that counts is my Youth Protection and Safe Swim certifications.

I'm thinking this is going to be a fiasco if they try and implement it. What's the sense of having a unit if it can't go anywhere?

Stosh

Perhaps this was an April Fools Joke?

I can only hope. My region takes anywhere from 4 weeks to 4 months to return just the national permits! Imagine if we had to turn in all our local permits through them! (Actually, if they really want to play that game then good, let's play. We'll start submitting tour permits for every little thing. See how long before they change their tune!)

ETA - Your link doesn't work. This one has a bit of an odd odor to it.(This message has been edited by lisabob)

Actually it might be pretty darned funny if we all started inundating regional offices like this! Well anyway, in my region. Maybe they'd figure out that they don't exist in a vacuum, and actually start providing timely service to those of us who live out here in Central-land. (probably not though)

This was taken seriously enough that someone from National posted a request to Scouts-L to retract it and make it clear it was a joke. Apparently they "did" get all kinds of feedback at a higher level. Some things should not be made jokes of, as they are confusing enough, especially for novices.

Well, I was already going to start visiting the regional office with brownies just to get to know them. You never know when you will need a NTP on short notice.

I suspected that this was a prank though. The permit doesn't require the unit leader's signature, only the tour leader's--fat chance that they would always be WB trained. Powder Horn is not the equivalent of Wood Badge. This requirement made the 7/1/09 date very suspect. No way they would shut down tour permits for most units with that short of notice. Now if it had said 1/1/11 (which is such a cool date that you have to believe it) to give people time to take the class and finish their tickets... Finally, requiring that all "adults" not just all "registered adults" be YP trained was way over the top.

Today is April 2nd. Yesterday was April 1st.

The changes highlighted in the post are not going into effect. The unintended consequences of the posting (which was not found on www.scouting.org) have caused resources to be expended which could have been better served fulfilling the Mission of the Boy Scouts of America.

Please don't pass it on,

Richard R. Bourlon, P.E., CSP

Team Leader, Health and Safety

BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

And if they can't read beyond the first post then...??? Sorry, I don't see a need to lock it. The posts themselves indicate that it is a joke.

RichardB from Irving, thank you for your input. Now, would you please pass along the word to my regional folks (That would be Central) that it really is problematic when they routinely take literally months to approve (correctly-completed, accurate, unproblematic) national tour permit apps? That would be an excellent use of National BSA resources if some sort of change could be effected there.

The problem with this Joke is that it was way to easy for it to be true. While it makes zero sense to require this training many of the other things that have been forced from a National Level have made little sense and are clearly decisions being made without regards to the VOLUNTEERS that actually work in the program.

Example - The ban on flashlight tag then the removal of the ban for 24-48 hours before putting it back in place.

Example - The sudden requirement for Weather Hazzard training to get a Tour Permit (training is not bad, way change was implemented was terrible)

Example - Constant loss of adult training records in many council's across the country.

Example - My council (Golden Empire in CA) still not having the Registrations completed so we cannot even get rank or MB advancement for our Scouts. For all we know the new adults are all on parole for axe murder and the council would not know as they cannot register Scouts, let alone do background checks.

Example - New Physical form rollout. Not a bad idea but one of the worst rollouts of a national level change you could have come up with.

Example - Whoever got off with a LOT of money on the NESA knot screw-up last year. Betting that those who have a few stashed away will do very well in the coming years. Much better to let the bad run out then fix but instead a new rare and expensive item was created.

And the list goes on and on and on.

Result: Membership continues to drop and then we spend more money trying to figure out why.