John-in-KC, are you saying that all donations need to go to the chartering org then to the troop or pack?

Also the wording that our council said is that we cannot go to anyone and ask for donations, period. Not even through our CO. We are not to ask at all, even if it is offered but we must say how we would use it. We are to tell them to donate it to council.

Firekat, I'm obviously not John, but...

That's how it works in my council too re: donations. The council jealously guards its community FOS turf. However, your unit CAN still operate a fundraiser (different than just straight-up donations) by filling out and getting approved a unit money earning application. If you have a bunch of small fry (Tigers!) consider doing something like a community car wash (even little guys like hoses and sponges, and bigger relatives can help) or a plant sale (We do one before mother's day - sell gift cards to the local nursery. You'd be amazed how many dads buy the cards from their cubs and then thanked us for providing them this "service" to keep them in their wife's/mother's good graces!)

Firekat, if your Council routinely turns down unit fundraising apps (chili suppers, car washes, wreath sales, and the like)... then have your COR go to Council Board meetings and have a serious discussion with them.

What I'm talking about are unsolicited donations to your unit: Route them through your Chartered Partner. The monkey from Council is then off your back. The IH can look your DE/SE in the eye and say "Excuse me? Are you telling me how to run my non-profit? Let me call the local paper..."

How a church chooses to spend money coming into its coffers is up to the church... or the church and the donor if the donation is a designated gift.

Yes, Council, as Lisa said, can and does jealously guard the Community and Family FOS campaigns.

So what do you suppose would happen if you took a donation? wiuld they diband the unit? NOPE! Would they say don't do it again? Maybe But there isn't a whole lot they can do to you for taking an offered donation.

We have a local company that sends out checks to local youth groups every year. We have been getting a $250 check for years, but if council asks for an FOS donation, the answer is "Sorry we only give to local groups".

At our last COR, we had a surprise guest, a previous Eagle scout from 20 years ago who now belongs to a community men's organization. They hold a golf tournament and he solicited mulligans for $10 each, proceeds going to his old scout troop. We didn't request it, didn't even know it was happening. He showed up at the COR and asked the SM if he could make a quick speech, during which he presented the SPL a check for $950.

In attendance was our new DE who was there to pitch FOS.

Do you think we'll hear anything from the DE? I doubt it. We did surpass our goal for FOS this year by 50%. Perhaps that will keep him quiet.

Assuming that your CO is a 501©(3) organization, it is absolutely kosher for your CO to route donations to you - as an example, in Son 1's troop there are two adults who work for large corporations that do matching grants (and have large legal departments who track such things). They do it every year. When I was treasurer, it was worth several thousand dollars to the troop on an annual basis.

It is also kosher for your council to route donations to you through your CO. I'm with Beavah on this one - somebody's makin' stuff up to make you go away. I do sincerely hope they aren't taking a gift designated for you and not passing it along. That would be a no-no. On a practical level, there isn't really anything you can do about it, though, unless you want things to get messy.

Vicki(This message has been edited by Vicki)

What about for the purchase of flowers or items that you then use to beautify a park or other public place?

That way it's not benefiting you directly and then your boys can do a good turn- plant trees or partner with a troop to make a hiking trail or whatnot. Basically they are purchasing the items and you are then donating the time.

If you don't need it, do a good turn with it.

Book Drive for the Library, flowers to beautify the town, tools to clear a trail, etc.

DO the good turn, include the local paper, and turn it into good PR.