My troop does this twice a year,spring and fall,as our schedule allows.(The state recommends 4 times a year.)For the lower ranks,this counts as their service project.It also is credited towards school service requirements.We have since added a movie night at the Scout hall the night prior.What do other troops do as far as this is concerned.

Our Charter Org. does Adopt a highway. they have 2 miles. We do it with them 3 times a year. We do 1 mile they do the other.

Service hours, good turn for America. The best part of the deal is that the COR buys ice cream for everyone that shows up. We usually get good turnout and are done in about 1.5 hours or less.

Our troop has about two miles that we four times a year. Our town even put up sign with our Troop number giving us credit for that street. I used that activity to get younger scouts some leadership practice.

Beary

From what the local state highway department engineer tells me, he calls the Gendarmerie if there are younger than 15 year olds working AAH. Considering that the two-lane roads do not have shoulders, his judgment that it's a safety issue may be founded.

Point is this: Check with your State Department of Transportation and the local Polizei before putting youth members on the shoulders.(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

In response to the above, in Maryland,per the Adopt a highway guidelines,the minimum age of participation is 12 years of age.They must be facing oncoming traffic.We do not clean the median.That is left for the county corrections.(We have a dual lane road)I strictly adhere to that with the scouts safety in mind. We clean up in small groups at different sections,with 2 adults per group,to speed up the process.It usually takes about 4 or 5 hours to clean up 2 1/2 miles of highway,up and back.Great for service time for rank!(This message has been edited by tagguy)(This message has been edited by tagguy)

In our city, there is an "Adopt A Street" program, where groups can take on the litter pick-up for a city street. Our pack adopted the most littered street in our neighborhood. As it is a 30 MPH street with parallel parking, it is safer than a highway, and we pick up along the curb and sidewalks. It was an easier job back when there were more boys in the pack, it's getting tough now.