Troop assets/accounts and who owns them.

I have read here numerous times how the CO actually owns all the troops assets and accounts. I brought this up to our committee last night and some had not realized this. What I could not do is tell them where this is documented. Can someone here help me out. This would be helpful for our new troop accountant coming on in a month. Thanks.

This seems to be rather vague.

The closest documentation I can find that answers this question is at http://www.scouting.org/media/relationships/trainingthecor/02.aspx .

"Chartered Organizations

Organizations are granted a charter by the BSA. The organization may be a church, civic group, school, or other such organization that seeks permission and works in conjunction with the BSA to provide an outreach program for youth. The chartered organization is the "franchisee" and as such is the "owner-operator" of the Scouting program."

artjrk

I don't think I have ever heard of the Troop Treasurer ever been called the troop accountant?

Unless you think that the Troop is in danger of closing? I really don't think any of this is very important.

If you are a lot more lucky than most? The CO might at times be willing to help the Troop out. In most cases I know of, just trying to get the $20.00 rechartering fee from the CO can be a task.

The Troop will raise the funds it needs.

As this is done in the name of the CO who does "Own" the Troop. It might be said that the CO does own all the gear and the funds.

Having a good written record /records of the money coming in and going out (Even if the Scouts have individual accounts) is a good idea. Keeping the COR updated as to what the Troop is doing is also a good idea.

Also having someone from the CO know where the stuff is doesn't do any harm.

Some CO's do require a copy of the year end account for their tax records.

But if I were you I'd not worry about who owns what, the funds will come and go, there will never be enough!!

Just be open about what's happening.

Eamonn.

Sorry. The Troop Treasurer happens to be an accountant.

The question came up while the committee was discussing whether they needed to file any form or another for tax purposes. Also we have set up online payment for our mulch sales using Paypal and we needed to submit info from the CO using their Tax exempt status, School PTA.

No major issue right now. we just wanted to be clear.

And to clarify what the Judge just said:

If you have questions about tax law for your unit, call your local council, and ask for the contact information for their General Counsel: This will be a volunteer Scouter, an attorney, who provides legal support to the Executive Board.

Alternately, ask your COR or IH for whoever they get legal help from... usually a member of the organization.

"I'm just amazed that there's a PTA out there still chartering BSA units."

Why?

AFAIK, that's not an issue.

The issue was with Public Schools chartering units. PTAs are private orgs.